What made me fall in love with this city was the shades of green you could see everywhere you turned and the cool weather which is like heaven for someone coming from Bombay. Couple that with the lazy pace of life, it's a stark contrast to the city that never sleeps.
Even now we have close to 5 parks within a 4km radius which have well maintained lawns, a tiled walkers' track and a kids play area with swings and slides. Every time I go to one of them, I say a prayer that may these last the onslaught of concrete and glass.
Apart from these small parks in older areas of the city, two HUGE parks that are lungs of this place, are Lalbagh and Cubbon Park. You can easily find the history and how many acres they are spread over etc on the internet (Jai Google Baba ki!).
I remember going to Lalbagh, during my first trip to Bangalore as a tourist, many years ago! Then, I was just fascinated with the big floral clock with Snow White and Seven Dwarfs adorning it. Then next was when we went for a picnic with entire khandaan post shaadi and we had so much fun. We kept wanting to go there for the Flower Show that happens every year for about a week, concluding on Independence Day.

the first look
This year we decided we HAVE to make it to the show come what may. First attempt was made one evening when there wasn't any better plan. We were shooed away by the cop saying no entry after 530pm because it was alreadytoo crowded. So then we decided to go on 15th Aug itself. When we reached we were in for a pleasant surprise when there were cops helping the vehicles find the right parking etc. We were also shocked by Rs.200 entrance charge! ;)
and you thought Petunia was just Harry's aunt's name
Anyhow. We started moving towards the glass house where the show happens. There was a looong queue to get in and soon enough we were a part of it. It was really fascinating to see the burst of colours in form of flowers big and small. From special decorations to some just put together flowers, everyone was trying hard to capture the beauty with their cameras, mostly on phone, while cops tried to make people move asap. It was lot like going to these famous temples where you stand for hours and then get pushed out within 2 secs. We also like complete bozos, forgot to take our camera.
fool khile hai gulshan gulshan! :p
ek phool do mali! ;)
Apart from flowers, people formed another colourful collage of sights and sounds that cannot be captured on a phone camera. The atmosphere was totally like a mela.
the wine baron.... err barrel?! :p
There were stalls selling some handicrafts and mostly gardening related stuff. The Amul ice cream carts were there every 500mtrs and people were indulging having Icecreams and Ice Lollies that aren't so common anymore. We bought a lemon grass plant for M's mausi and a Tulsi plant for ourselves which was pending forever! There were people selling baloons and bubble maker sellers were blowing bubbles incessantly giving the whole place a very dreamy and fairytale like appearance.
harit vahini - Go Green! Chk out the dog resting inside!
Cubby had a ball trying to walk all over the place holding our hands. All in all it was coupla hours well spent and I am sure to go back soon. Esp now that Cubby will soon walk comfily on his own and he will LOVE the wide open spaces to run on even more! :)
And you remember I said they shooed us away from Lalbagh in the evening. We decided to make a trip to Cubbon Park. This park has lots of separate gardens and a road going through it. We had taken the road often but never stopped by at the park.
So we parked the car opposite a garden and walked in on to the lush green lawns. We had a short walk with Cubby saying our hellos to all the little kids out there (there were MANY). It was fun to see kids of every age and size doing so many different things. One had just learnt to walk, so insisted to perfecting the skill while other who couldn't was content just lolling on the grass! :)
It was one of the windiest days in Bangalore (as per the newspaper next day) and the guy selling this contraption that starts spinning in wind (I have no idea what its called. Picture below. Pls help) did a brisk business. When M said lets buy it, I told him Cubby was too young to enjoy it. M coolly replied "It's for you!" So yours truly was quite busy seeing it spin in a dizzy with every round of breeze!
THE Contraption (name pls!)While Bangalore has very little to offer in terms of things you can do without spending money at a mall or multiplex, these parks can offer a pleasant change. It's so refreshing and invigorating to just enjoy the cleaner air and feel at peace even with so many people around you.
Here's some of Cubby's latest pics taken by our very cool chacha who has a golden hand at shooting of another kind! Yeah! We can now call him our Abhinav Bindra! :p



31 comments:
Nice update! Had been to lalbagh once after coming here. I just loved it. Its really good for kids to run around. But unfortunately, it started raining that day, so couldn't enjoy it well. Will go soon again...when we are sure its not going to rain :) Even Aaditya needs a lot of space around him..he just loves it. I guess it must be true with every kid.
Hmmm a flowery week and garden season indeed :)
I remember visiting numerous gardens in Lucknow, now I find them boring but yes if u gimme a book n throw me in a garden I'll surely be happy :)
lol at Bindraji..Cubby as usual looks darn cute...gaal kheechon meri taraf se :)
I loved the analogy of going inside the temple where you get pushed out in 2 seconds after waiting for hours to get in. Wonderful post. Cubby is such a shareef baccha. IN all his pics he is so shaant, so calm. Or is it his mom's trick of clicking him at the bestest moments? I m sure he is the one responsible for it.
Loved all the pics, and the write up.
You know,being a Bangalorean I have never really appreciated the lovely gardens like Lalbagh and Cubbon Park up until I moved out of the city!I guess we just took the greenery for granted!
I always love to see pictures of the little cutie pie so this post was like a double bonanza!!
In sipte of your beautiful updates on the gardens in Bangalore, all I can say after reading the post and seeing the pics is 'heart became cubby cubby!' :)
OMG ! Lalbagh is absolutely amazing ! Lovely Lovely :)
God - that's such a strong pull towards a Bangalore visit :)
Cubby looks adorable :)
ahh... lalbagh...u sending me on a nostalgia trip here..
and i do so love your captions :D
Hey, completely agree on Bangalore being a more liveable place than Mumbai. The pictures are really cute! :-)
Ab isse bolte hai coincidence , remember we planned to meet that weekend and I told hubby that lets go to lalbagh together , so that kids will enjoy , but on 15th morning I slipped and had a body ache and so I felt like just lazying in house. Chalo atleast you went :)
But when did they started 200 Rs entry fees , I have seen that show twice.
aargee - lets make a picnic there!! with whole families included this time!! will be super fun! what say??
smita - well if you are visiting them they can be boring! but when you go with kids or spouse to just sit / run and have some fun, they are really cool!! with a book they are bliss! :) gaal kheech diye!
Mampi - i stopped going to famous temples afta coupla such experiences! Cubby USED to be sharif!! ab toh roz tevar badal rahe hai!! but he is kinda sweet! :D
lucy - yeah! since we hardly got to see any in Bombay, i was damn kicked! though we hardly went to these places pre-Cubby! :)
cheers!
abha
mystic M - oh well! i use every opp to show off Cubby! he is in his cutest phase! you are forgiven!! :p
Gauri - aa jao Bangalore! lalbagh mein picnic! :D thankee!
suma - nostalgia is nice, nahi?! and i love giving captions!! hehe!!
Mira's mom - yeha! inspite of lotsa cribbing sessions abt blr, we cant dream of going back to Bombay! i never thought i could say that! sigh!
swati - phir kisi weekend chalenge! lalbagh toh wahi rahega!! :p i guess the entrance fee was just for that day including your parking fees!! thats my guess!
cheers!
abha
Have been to Laal Bagh twice..saw the Flower Show 2005 :)...really loved the Ek Phool Do Mali pic & the one where the dude is giving a mischievous smile to somebody on his right :)
Were U talking bout 'Phirki' when U said Contraption, it looked like one in the pic??
:)smiles,
Alok
what fun!! i've never been to lalbagh, despite having lived in blore all my life....yeah, shame on me.
btw, i'm probably leaving next weekend...let's meet up sometime before that. i so want to see cubby walk!!
I am a sniffling, sobbing fool right now and it's all your fault! This post has reduced me to tears and I am sitting here, pining away, absolutely yearning to be in Bangalore again! God, how much I miss that place! My insides cry out at the very thought of it!
Beautifully written, Namesake, beautiful. I'll be coming back to it again and again for my Beantown-fix every now and again!
Oh, and the 'contraption' s call a 'pinwheel'...at least in the States, that's how I remember them! :)
I looved cubby's outfit - red shoes and all! Too sweet!
And yes, it's a pinwheel or in Tamil we call it kathaadi - kathu = wind, aadi = dance
toon ji - thankee!! :D phirki is something else in marathi at least! :p
angie - lets have a play date at lalbagh before you go!! Cubby is still not walking confi enuff!! but bonbon can run wild out there!! :)
namesake - thankee!! :D make a trip soon!! i can imagine us sitting and talking late into the night about EO, YO and Cubby! :)and pinwheel is the word i think!! you english teacher types!! :p
ss - :D Cubby's bua gifted him the shoes for his first birthday. i wouldnt dream of buying such mehenge shoes for him!! ;)
cheers!
abha
Never been to Lalbagh - the flowers are lovely and the pictures are great . I see my sweetheart is getting his curls back - big kiss for him!
Seems your son had a gr8 time at lalbagh :) Glad you liked the show.
Nice post! Made me miss the times when we used to go to Lalbagh for long walks, and not just to visit the nursery!
And I would say "good work" for letting Cubby explore nature through such outings!I am sure he enjoyed a lot!
BTW, loved the pic of his where he is sitting with you (restaurant?)
EL - its amazing how you notice things that we fail to notice! he is indeed getting some curls back!
manasa - your photos of the flower show are really cool!! :D hamara toh phone camera ka hai, and people are the focus rather than flowers! hehe!
puja - somehow we never neded up doing long walks thing to labagh! i guess it has something to do with the fact that it closes down by 630pm! am sure even diya will have lotsa fun now! and yeah that photo is at reso! Umerkot on koramnagala.
cheers!
abha
Great updtae. LOved the pis as well the words that go with it. :) wish i was there to enjoy ur weather.
That's a lovely age. I have a daughter who's three years old and a son who's nine months old. We've enjoyed every minute of our time with them.
Not for the first time I'm also thinking that I should visit Lal Bagh again, and probably now whilst the weather is a little cooler.
kaathaadi( tamil)
phirkee ( hindi)
Pin wheel/ Wind mill ( english)
lalabagh is shut everytime we've tried- it is so close to wilson gardens and we never seem to make it on our visits
Monika - thankee! :D come and enjoy the weather!
chailey - yeah! i can imagine how much fun you guys must be having!! make a trip to lalbagh!! thanx for dropping by! :)
art - oh well! thats bangalore for ya!! places are shut at oddest of times! when you come to blr next, do leme meet Anush! :D
cheers!
abha
Sigh! Gardens are always fun. Do keep taking Cubby there. I went to Cubbon park with my husband-to-be during our courtship days and he bought me a heart shaped balloon and pink candyfloss..ah! the silliness of romance :)
Btw, the mama shoots really well with a camera!
cuckoo - oh yeah! gardens are always fun!! and i STILL buy baloons!! so its okie to be silly every now and then!! :D
cheers!
abha
loved the garden snaps.. i envy u
ITW - if i start listing down what all i envy about your life it would be a post!! :p but gardens are fun!!
cheers!
abha
Guess what, having stayed in Bangalore for more than 18 months, I never actually visited anyone of those parks. I used to hear some notorious stories about Cubbon Park. 'Oh you don't know what all goes on there!' - guys would tell me.
Bangalore did have a 'shady' past but now I am not too sure how green is the city. I will go by your verdict. Although I hear quite a lot about the city losing its charm lately, I am sure its still one of those rare cities which actually live upto the omnipresent boards everywhere -"GREEN city, Clean city'..
Lovely pics..Loved the caption - 'fool khile hain gulshan gulshan':) Flower show at Cubbon park is legendary I had heard, you confirmed that.
Cheers!
Amit:)
amit - well! it is greener than most cities i have been to even today.
yes! the weather isnt as cool as it used to be and traffic can drive you up the wall, but its still niiice! :)
i so do love reading your long comments! they tell me, i aint the only one who does that!!
cheers!
abha
Post a Comment