Just saw another pile of wasted paper on our office printer, prompting me to write this post, which I anyway have been wanting to for some time now.
When email came along, we all not only marveled at the speed with which communication could happen (heck M and me used to send each other 5 looong emails a day at the peak of our pataoing season), but also about the fact that we could now dream of having paperless office.
The files would now be on the computer and you won't have to wonder if you need the box variety or the slim one. Imagine the amount of space it could free up. Imagine the number of trees that could be saved by saving all the paper. We were all happily hoping, weren't we?
Then we realised computers can crash, all the data can get wiped-out, even the back-up can get corrupt and if not termites, virus could eat into out virtual files.
Next, we were filing print-outs of emails and the files are in back in action along with our shortly under-worked printers.
I completely understand the need to have hard copies of records which cannot be left to the vagaries of virtual nature. Heck, even I have 15 different files with faxes and prints of emails that I couldn't "avoid" printing.
But there are things we can do to avoid misuse of paper, especially in office environment. (I doubt lot of us waste lot of paper at home, considering its OUR money we are spending!).
Many times I see just one column of an excel sheet thats printed on one page rendering it useless to the guy who has printed it. The original sheet which is now one column/row less and the other which has one row too many. It makes me so mad to see it. A simple thing to do is to do a print preview before you print and format it so that it fits into one page! I mean that cannot be very difficult, can it?! Sometimes, you just have to change the setting from portrait to landscape and Voila! Computer is a little bit magic! :p
To be even more proactive, please check formatting of your files before sending them across to someone. Just assume that the other person won't take the effort to save paper and take the initiative.
Similar stuff for emails. As a normal netiquette, please check if the mail you are sending isn't a long chain mail with information that DOES NOT need to reach the final recipient. Delete the portion that is NOT relevant before sending the mail. If that hasn't been done by the sender, just make sure you as a recipient check it out before hitting Ctrl+P. A lot of times, the second page will just have the address of the sender. If the main content looks like it will fit in one page click on page 1 of 1 and print.
Check if you can reuse some of the paper. I am so anal about this thing that I actually check for some stupid printing (I find plenty of it) and use it in our fax machine. The fax gets printed on the clean side and a piece of paper that would ordinarily have got wasted gets sorta recycled or at least reused.
Instead of using new and fancy note pads, just ask the house keeping to tear up the waste paper into neat rectangles and staple them to use as note pads which you can use for your simple calculations / to note down phone nos etc in office.
If you have given a print have courtesy to PICK up prints from the printer even if it means hauling your ass 30metres from the cube. We anyway don't get any exercise. It is plain rude to leave piles of paper and making others hunt for their pages in your mess.
Use right sized envelopes to courier your stuff. It's OK to fold your claim into three folds and put it into a regular sized envelope than use a A4 size one because you don't wanna crumple the paper. I mean seriously, as long as you have filled out the form right, they will pass the claim, crumpled or not!
Use tissue paper with care. Whats with using 5 tissues to just dry your hands. If you don't want to use your hanky, use the tissue wisely. Please pull them out carefully too. No one uses the ones that fall around the basin and get wet at the edges even though they are not dirty or unusable.
Don't use paper to mop up things at home esp in your kitchen. Use cloth as much as possible. The way we used to in good old days before paper became fashionable.
But most of all THINK before you print. Print ONLY when you NEED to. Check and format BEFORE hitting the print button. Format documents right when you are the sender. Try to reuse and recycle the paper as much as you can.
We have been consistently screwing the natural balance of earth for a long time and it could soon be too late to make amends. So one step at a time, one paper at a time and perhaps one tree at a time. And if a lot of us do it, we could soon be saving a whole forest! Ok! A small patch of green, hopefully?! :)
And me, I am trying to work up the gumption to say "Wake up guys! Stop wasting SO much paper!"
The word "gumption" taken from Tharini's blog! Check the post out and make your own sentence! I had fun doing it!
And yes remember the title, Kyunki paper bhi kabhi ped tha.
19 comments:
LOVED the title of this post:)
We really need to make such efforts, as much as reminders, as information. Nice to see such concerned effort.
I reuse paper all the time, and do make an effort to never waste. In fact I think sometimes I go overboard, but better go over board than live in a world without trees, kyunki paper bhi kabhi ped tha :)))
Lovely post...
If we have to make a difference we have to change from within....we on the hand wanna be technologically smart but on the other hand are still handicapped & stuck in old times...
I still remember that i Ahmedabad the other dept used to waste realms of paper printing mails jo ki baad main padi bhi nahin jaayengi & our dept used to seldom take print outs and if had to then on rough paper...
Anyways very very relevant post & I agree with all ur points...
Very nice pos.
I agree & like u get really mad in office to see paper & electricity getting wasted.
We all can make a difference.
Nice post and I aggree with all that you said and try to practice too :)
IHM - thanks! :) i seriously and honestly belive in power of ONE. if each one decides to do something positive, the effect as a whole has to be felt! nahi?! :)
smita - indeed! we need to understand and accept that we are causing a HAVOC and need to take action now. we cant sit here and wait and watch ki aage aage dekho hota hai kya.
MnA - true. ecah one doing his/her own bit can make a difference! :)
swati - thanks! hopefully we will make a difference!
cheers!
abha
brilliant post abha.... and loved the title....
I am very very particular abt his... if i have to a print due to some reasons I try and sqeueeze as many pages on one sheet.... 2 pages per printing on both sides saves a lot of paper and if its not for official filling purposes works just as well
Very, very well-written. I feel the same way you do, about paper and water and lights/fans left on even after everybody's left the room. Are we so self-involved that we don't notice the lights glaring away and the fas whirring above our heads when we go away?
I echo your sentiments...WAKE UP PEOPLE!
awesome post abha, and a very intelligent title. Should let ektha kapoor know about it ;)
Jokes apart, you are absolutely right and we all should practise it. Hope our kids will be more responsible than our generation.
Yup, You did a great job, right from the title to the end.
I keep reusing the paper,even to the risk of being called kanjoos. I keep avoiding using the printer...
The cutting and stapling of one side used paper is a routine with me.
THe little differences that we make with our little gestures go a long way.
It was a beautiful post for such an important cause.
hey u want to catch with chandni... send me a mail at monika.manchanda@gmail.com I am thinking to meet her for a coffee may be we can all meet together
I am totally with you on this one. There's this girl who attends the Diploma class with me. Even though she saves her data/assignment on the flash drive she carries with her, she still takes a print out of her assignment-in-progress everynight before she leaves for home. When I just couldn't stand it, I gently reminded her that since the assignment is still incomplete, she doesn't really need to print it out - falls on deaf ears. Drives me mad seeing such a waste of paper/trees.
great post, abha...
i reuse all the time...'cos as you so very intelligently said, kyunki paper bhi kabhi ped tha!!!!
Very wise post - but I notice that most people still don't think saving a few sheets of paper can save the environment, especially when they don't have to pay for it. I think the best thing is for offices to ration the supply or make them pay for their own paper. Then you will see how creative people can get about saving all the paper they can.
monika - thanks! and i am really glad to see there are others who care! now for that to become a standard practice... and i will mail ya! i did send chandu my number! hope i can catch up! :)
namesake - true! i want to write about water and electricity too. next in line to do that too! people even refuse to turn off their monitors when they leave! why?! :(
lijy - yes. it is our resposibility to make sure that they grow up sensitive to these issues! and if you can get me a job with ekta, that wuld be awesome! :p
mampi - to think that people should appreciate the efforts rather than call us kanjoos! hopefully things will get better!
2b's mom - true! you dont know why people refuse to talke action even if they understand the harm they are causing. and this inspite of ebing told as well! :(
cheers!
abha
suma - :) thankee! its good to see so many of us taking first steps.
Usha - yes! its true. far too many people are too callous to bother. classic argument used is "sab log karte hai. main akela rukne se kya farak padega?!" how can we refuse to take our own resposibility?
cheers!
abha
Nice message out there!
Yes, I have seen people doing it all and what a criminal waste is that! I have tried to maintain all my records in softcopy only unless its some important PO etc that needs a signature et al.
Even with electricity I find that people use it blatantly when in office. Why dont people realise that the simple steps we take now will go a long way in saving our nature and indirectly us!
Loved this one.
I hate wasting paper and because I cannot throw any scrap of paper that can be re-used, I end up with stacks of papers around me - in my drawer, on my desk, in folders...
And I hate the fact when the printer/comps act weird and start spewing print outs that you don't need. Because then, you've not just wasted paper but also very expensive ink.
WIAN - true! we just dont realise that the supply ofthese precious resources is exhaustible. i intend to do posts on water and electricity too!
D - true! waste of electricity, ink and paper! its so maddening!
cheers!
abha
wonderful post! You are so right about it. We do need to take time for such small things. At the end it is only a matter of habit.
I have started buying hygenic 100% recycled toilet paper as well as kitchen towels. Which means it contains 100% recycled paper waste and no new cellulose from the trees is used.
I learned to reuse paper by making these small pads you mentioned about from my mother, to write small notes etc, at home my grocery list and so on.
Another important thing we should keep in mind is not only try to avoid, but also try to USE the recycled paper which we so very want to recycle.
Post a Comment