I am talking about my Ma-in-law aka Mummy who is a bleddy brilliant cook! I mean you can say Annapurna resides in her hands. She can make anything taste perfectly awesome. In her heydays, she would cook for 100 people with little or no help. She baked these huge cakes for M's birthday - cats and aeroplanes! She keeps claiming that her cooking is very simple, but as hard as we try we can never even come close to that taste! And its not just the cooking, it's even her presentation that is flawless to say the least.
I mean how many people you know can turn this (the picture below) in to the final product you will see and that too at HOME!
That's how everything put together looks like!
Yayyy! I am eating a HOME-MADE sizzler! :D
Don't miss the happy faces behind the smoke that say "Bliss!"
After, NOT before! That's how clean the sizzler plates got licked! :)
So, the answer to the question asked in the title is a resounding NO!
But then, I am more than happy to be fed this food and man, it tastes even better than it looks, if that is possible! :)
Thanks Mummy for the gastronomic pleasure trip you always take us on - be it a simple dal or the finger lickin good Karela or this fancy sizzler! You rock! :)
The begging for invites is now open! ;)
36 comments:
wow!! it looked fabulous! mujhe aisa sizzler khane ke liye kya karna padega?? seriously how did they pick up such talent with the limited exposure they had???
wow.. it looks absolutely mouth watering.. can I come visit auntyji pleassee??
Wow ! Auntyji you are simply too good! Has the gene been passed on to M?
Aunty makes sizzlers at home!!!! Wow....simply wow! And I can beleive the clean plates after seeing the awesome food pics. Does she stay in Bombay??? Can I invite myself over when I am there :p
so when can we come over?
please please pretty please!!!
is that enough to get invited?
no..er, wait, let me get the goosh to do a pose! hopefully that'll melt hearts and get us an invite.
Ditto every single word for my MIL :) And she makes awesome sizzlers too!
We could share notes on our MILs :)
Wow.....that looks awesome!!
Sizzlers at home?? Wow wow wow!
no, the bahu may not be like the saas, but she sure knows how to be appreciative,- a whole photo post dedicated to the mil. loved the presentation and the pics, droolicious :)
Lucky me,M and kabir.Both are great, impossible to decide which is better. Yes bahu rani tum bhi saas banogi-in your core compitence.
Mmmmm.... yep, that was a finger-licking good memory. And the way you present it in the post, just makes it even more delicious!
This and the Parvati excursion were probably my two favoritest moments of this vacation. But this was a special vacation indeed. Every day was full of so much masti, family and love that it became difficult to head back home. (Like, watching Cubby respond to an "auction", him getting down to touch feet for "aashirwad", his eyes gleaming as soon as aaji presented the first "besan laddoo".... or am I commenting on your next post already?)
PS: If I buy you sizzler plates and send you for a 3 day workshop to sasural... hmmm.... yesss.....
Yummmm!! Well, what else can I do than pray for a super-cook MIL like your's? :P
onoes u forgot to take a closeup of the completed plate, am slowly drowning of curiosity and the drool pooling in my mouth ..... and sizzlers at home, that is amazing!! i want to know how to make them too :( anyways, as they say in blore enjaay maadi :D
i can so relate to your title, Abha! My MIL makes everything taste lick-icious while I master in disaster-creation of even a simple recipe :-(
As usual a tasty post from the connoisseur :-) Lucky girl!
G - arre they were expected to be proficient in cooking and art etc! for the records she has done some brilliant paintings too! :)
Preethi - i got it after 5 years of shaadi! you might just have to wait! :)
Poppy - actually now that you say it! yeah! i mean not in that measure, but the man has a flair for good stuff! :)
HC - she stays in Pune! not too far, eh?! :)
richa - goosh might just work! ;)
D - is it the Lucknow gene then?! :)
M & A - seriously! even i went WHOW and wow! :)
suma - awww! you are sweet! :D
Papa - now thats a diplomatic comment! ;) and i need to find my core competence before i become a saas! :D
Vidooshak - :) it was really a super trip! and thanks for reminding me of stuff for next post! hehe!
swat - pray HARD woman!!! :)
CP - ah well! M was taking all the pictures! and you have the close up of what went into the plate! then it got covered by this yummy n spicy tomato based sauce! :)
WIAN - lucky i am!! :D and woman, am sure you are a super cook too! point is to specilaize in stuff you MIls has no clue about! hehe!
cheers!
abha
No begging whatsoever...you're taking me over, whether you like it or not!!
My ma-in-law's a wonderful cook too. And as you said, it's not just the exotic stuff, it can be a simple daal or parwal that she can whip into a delight!
These MILs I tell you! God bless 'em!
wonderful and lucky u
wow when is she coming to blore?? i am coming over for eating as well lessons
hats off really
I might be coming to Blore; Can I get this ? Take-Out would be OK as well.
Really Yummy stuff.
Samir
Now heres your chance to do something for a greater good - start a blog with her recipes and send me a link!!
PS: 'yummy' post
wow! Looks delicious... must taste even more so! Ur lucky! :-)
I am now starving. Starving I tell you
And hey, you look good. Your face looks like you have lost weight?
How is the gym going?
WOW A homemade sizzler !!! How did she make it? I mean how did she heat it up, sizzle it?? :)
Lucky you, I want it too...Waaaaahhh! :P
Come on baby, it is good to be modest but within limits. Your command, style and presentation of words is part of your core competence.
We all have sweet wonderful memories but with time they start to blur. I cannot recall how many sizzlers, made by your MIL,Ihave had at home.They were all super if not better.
After your post, Renu's sizzlers will always be associated with Kabir's birthday. Imagine the happiness this would bring to the family for all times. In the immediate time span it helped us to relive your entire stay with us-yes we enjoyed chewing the curd.
This God's gift qualify you for BECOMEING A SAAS.
agree??!!
Loved Samir's comment. Loved the way you ended the post by opening up the lines for begging... and how sophisticatedly he called in to book a place. Wonder if mom ever thought of "take out" sizzlers. hehehe
And agree completely with Papa. He has a way of noticing the obvious. Yes, we have had countless sizzlers at home (well, actually no more than 5-6 since it takes hell of effort), but the way you immortalized this one on the blog is definitely a boon.
Your bahu will have a tough time exceeding your HQ, girl (happiness quotient)...
:-)
by the way, suggest you start a "super MIL" tag. one often reads about the whimsical and annoying MILs on most of these blogs. it was refreshing to see so many super MILs being mentioned during your comments. would be nice to read more about just what super qualities these bahus have noticed in their MIL...
wicked?
Now a valid reason to visit Pune - informing in advance the date of arrival and choice of menu - SIZZZZLERS of course!!!
namesake - true! :) and my ma in alw has read the post and comments! maybe she will do a lucky draw! hehe! :p
art - yeah!!! :D
monika - well she is coming to bangalore soon, but then she cant carry her sizzler plates naah! make a trip to pune i say!! :)
samir - you coming to bangalore? the MILs is in Pune! :p but hey, please lets catch up in any case! drop me a line! :)
akamon - now thats an idea! if only i was enthu enough! maybe i will give it a shot! :D
spike - tell me about it!! :D
asaan - i starve everytome i think about it even! :p and gymming isnt going as well as i thought it would. but as of now i am in something is better than nothin mode! :(
priyanka - whining and crying while begging for an invite is not done! ;) and she actually heated the metal plate on gas me thinks! awesome naah?! :)
papa - :) you are good for my ego, you know! hehe! thanks! :)
Vidooshak - ah yes! papa always notice stuff we dont! and i have invited samir over in any case! :) and yeah, the super mil tag sounds like a great idea! :D
cheers!
abha
Wow! If aunty is currently in Bangalore...can I invite myself over? :)
And could you please, pretty please, tell us all how she made sizzlers at home?? I mean, I dont even know where to get the cooking materials for that from. Would be grateful if the places are in or around Bangalore :)
Ok...no more begging...tell us, now.
Hey! This is just toooo gud.
Pliss to pass on the recipe .. I will make it for my MIL ;)
apart from the sizzler looking so fantastic that its actually making me hungry, I noticed one thing.
Even my grandmother can make food for a 100 people, and her food is one of the best, forget fingerlicking, you will pick up the plate and wipe it clean off with your tongue.
Next comes the mother,
Can cook for around 10 people. 100 ...might be possible but there will be a screw up somewhere..
I love her cooking too, when its not something thats from that "low fat" cookbook.
...with the way things are going, I am assuming that the next generation..that means, my wife...will probably cook for 1 person. Come to think of it, I know some of my elder cousins, married recently...wife cooks for the wife. Hubby has to find his own meal.
...
I better ask mom how to make some dishes. If possible, ask your mom-in-law the secret behind a homemade sizzler too?
wow!!
I think one excellent cook is enough in a home ;-)
But seriously the sizzler looks as if it has been made at some restaurant!!
Lucky gal!!!
Droooling ....
Just pictures ???? You could have atleast posted the recipe..GRRR
Can't be, since my MIL is not from Lucknow :)
oh man! I'm a die-hard sizzler fan...always knew there was a divine reason I met you guys:))))
The sizzlers look sizzling and so tempting :D
The sizzlers look sizzling and so tempting :D
Post a Comment