Wednesday, August 13, 2008

jab main chhoti bacchi thi!

ITW did this tag about 'what are the 7 favourite things you enjoyed doing as a child?' I am picking it up because nostalgia is almost always nice! :)

I loved the walk to / from the school! (I liked school too, but the walk more!).

We were a gang of like 8 -10 kids (gender didn't matter at all then!) who went to the same school at the same time. So we would meet up every morning and walk to the school. There were times if we were 8 of us, we would take a cab simply because minimum fare was 8bucks and bus fare of Re.1. So if we pooled in we could go by cab!! Imagine cramming 8 people in ONE cab!! :D Then, there was a huge tree on the footpath outside our school.

We used to wait there in the evening for everyone to come and the leisurely walk back home would start. There would be again occasional pooling of money to buy 'golis' from the sweet shop. There was one type - really small red coloured pellet looking ones, which cost just 5ps per goli! And the yummy kala khatta flavoured one that cost a whole 25ps! My mouth waters thinking about it even now! Thankfully questionable hygiene and ingredients were, well, not questioned so much then! :p There was another bhaiyya outside school how sold imli (tamarind), kairi (raw mango), bora (I have no idea about the translation) which was sold with mix of salt and chilli powder! Drooooool!

Summer Vacations at Kolhapur

Those were the days when vacation meant at least a month going to Kolhapur and surrounding cities where all my maternal cousins stayed! My mausi's daughter S is just 15 days elder to me, so meeting her was what I looked forward to the most! That is when I did yearly learning and forgetting of cycling. Going to circuit house opposite their apartment and trying to get 'english' imli off the trees with stones and crazy jumping! Talking late into the night, playing cards and name,place, animal, thing throughout the day to calling a cousin over just to tell us ghost stories really late! :)

Birthday Parties

How I Loved getting invited for friends' birthday parties. Of course they used to be simple affairs. Cake (Monginis was height of expensive cakes), wafers and Rasna! It would just be another floor and yet you wore your best clothes, matching clips and went with a little gift wrapped in shiny paper and had lotsa fun doing nothing super special!

Playing with friends

Be it playing house-house with the whole kitchen set and fake food (never would my Mom have thought i would NEVER want to cook) or pretending to be major career women walking on high heel making tic-toc noise (i have never understood why heels always considering i never wore them in real life when i had a job) to playing chain, catch and even dreaded langdi! Every evening as soon as you got home, you threw everything, had a glass of milk and ran to the gacchi (terrace) and played till your parents didn't holler!

Festivals

Be it holi or diwali, I loved being a part of the festivities! To get an oil bath early in the morning on diwali day to playing colours till you became unrecognisable during holi! There used to be Kojagiri (a particular full moon night) celebrated in the building. Thats the day they had the building committee meeting that was followed by snacks and coffee! Kids used to play in one corner of the terrace and rest of it was meeting. Soon we were too many to let sane adult conversation happen! So kids started having a separate Kojagiri party by contributing money. Yummy food and crazy games till late into the night. Those were indeed the days! I still love it all!

Shopping

Unlike now, shopping wasn't a can be done anytime kinda affair. One got new clothes only for birthday and Diwali. To go and shop for it was a HUGE thing! My parents let me choose my clothes from pretty early on. Now when I look back I cringe at my choice and wonder what must be going through my parents' mind when they threw their hard earned money to buy crappy clothes! Sorry mom and dad!

Sundays and television

Sunday meant watching cartoons and Rangoli! Mickey Mouse and Donald duck were preceded by best of bollywood gaanas. To accompany the gaanas we would get tea! Sunday was the only day bro and me got tea, which on other days was a glassful of bournvita! :) Sundays also meant buying khaari from the bhaiyya who went door to door and dunking it in chai and taking the soggy bit to your mouth without dropping it in the chai or somewhere midway! haven't you heard there is a many a slip between the cup and the lip?! :p

This was super fun to do!! Man! How life has changed?! I remember my mom telling us how much MORE fun their childhood was without TV and computer and no other forms of distraction really. Will i also be going "Hamare zamanein mein" with Kabir while he rolls his eyes in exasperation?!

Well, we can just wait and watch, can't we?!

I don't know if we can tag people when we have picked up the tag just like that. But then what the heck! It will be fun to read some other people's take on this!

I tag my namesake Mamma-Mia, Just Like That (she hasn't posted in AGES!), WIAN, Munchkin's mommy and Dee.

If you have done it already forget it! If you haven't and get time, do it!

It's a refreshing walk down the memory lane!

34 comments:

Toonfactory said...

Woww Abha....Yaar tumne toh Yaadein Taza Kara Di...I was planning to write a similar post on Doordarshan aur Mera Bachpan... ;) real sweet post...I have been nagged by some 'aapke zamaane mein..'questions from young cousins and trying to accept the fact that Humara Zamaana Jaa Chuka Hai...

Mampi said...

Ahhh Golden days, Sans distractions, sans the tensions to excel. THey included family, they included friends of the family and they included families of friends.

Kahan gaye woh din !!

Loved the recount-most of all I loved the enjoying Imli, chooran and unhygienic golies-cos I share their memory with you. The best part was ur parents allowing you to choose your clothes. So few parents do that and to think they allowed u to do that IN THOSE DAYS.

squarecut.atul said...

Lovely read. From the accounts, your zamana was 1980s.

My zamaana was 1970s and I too love to talk/ write about my zamaana to anyone who cares to listen/ read.

Mama - Mia said...

toon ji - hamara zamaana already chala gaya??!! hum buddhe ho gaye??!! tumne toh mera dil tod diya! am waiting for your post!! :D

mampi - loved your family and friends tongue twister! :D in those days?? i have certainly aged!! i doubt even i will let Cubby choose his clothes!! sacchi mere parents bade himmatwale the!! :p

atul - welcome ji! and cant a woman hide her age anymore!! though i am on borderline of 70's and eighties, its NICE to feel younger being from eighties!! ;)aur apne zamaane se har ek ko pyaar hota hai!! :D

cheers!

abha

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Thank you Namesake...will definitely respond to your tag, but I doubt if mine be as fun and moving to read as your beautifully written one! This was honest and written straight from the heart! Sparked off memories of my own!
Thanks for this!

Angel's Flight said...

Abha

Girl u have brought back sweet memories

and just incase u ever doubted it..Yes u WILL use the 'hamara zamaane mein' line on Cubby ...and yes you WILL get the Eyes Roll....lolz...fun times :)

I love Lucy said...

Such a sweet post this Abha!
Certainly did bring back memories of my childhood when all we did was play lagori and cricket on the street!I hardly see any kids play outdoors nowadays and that is sad I tell you.
How is the cutie pie Kabir doing?

couchpapaya said...

loved reading that, brought back fond memories esp of kojagiri and playing patte all thru the summer hols .... we used to head out to shivaji park on one particular night and drink basundi under the stars. cant remember why we did that, must find out from mum :) lovely post, abha!!

Mira's mom said...

Hey, completely identified with your summer vacations part. I too had a lovely one month long holiday in Amritsar with my cousins - have to be some of the best months of my life. Hope our kids also can have as much fun as us! :-)

Mana said...

Oh.. I miss those days.. Whenever there was a B'day party, each one eyed for the cake with cherry... and now Rasna has been replaced with Fanta..

WhatsInAName said...

Oh Abha!
That was a wonderful walk down the memory lane and you took a lot many of us along with you :)
I so need a reason to update my blog... will do this tag pronto.. even I have my loved vacations, TV shows, and lots more :)
BTW my girls are already rolling their eyes, everytime I go "during my school days" :P

Mama - Mia said...

namesake - i KNOW you will do a fantastic and better jpb than me!! waiting to read it! :)

AF - thanx for telling me i am indeed getting old!! :p

lucy - yeah! i guess parents have become way to competitive! studies seem to take precendence over everything! add to that lack of open spaces and too many indoor distractions!! but they seem to be getting out again! lets hope! cubby is doing super! :D

CP - patte thru out the day was so much fun isnt it? my sis n me used to sleep with a pack of cards! as soon as we woke up, we started must to the dislike of bade log in the family! :)

cheers!

abha

Mama - Mia said...

mira's mom - i hope so too!! :D

manasa - oh yeah! the cherry! and even the yucky purely made of sugar flowers that decoared the cake!! :p dont even remember the last time i had Rasna!

WIAN - yes! pls to do the tag! i so know you will do full justice to it!! :)

cheers!

abha

Collection Of Stars said...

That was nostaligic.
Thinking I will also take on this tag. What say?

Mama - Mia said...

CoS - oh yeah!! pls take ot up!! its so much fun to do!! i was grinning by the end of it thinking of all the great times! :)

cheers!

abha

mystiquedew said...

Yups :) :)

I want to be tagged too
I want to be tagged too
I want to be tagged too
I want to be tagged too
I want to be tagged too
:( :( :(

Lovely post :)

Mystic Margarita said...

That was a wonderful trip down memory lane - could identify with almost all of them :) Lovely post.

Mama - Mia said...

mystique - arre pick it up!! lo! i tag you!! its really fun to do!!

mystic - thankee!! i have been wunnering where have you been?! it also reminds me, i need to do your book tag!! i need to get the book to work 'coz i almost never get online at home!!

cheers!

abha

Amit said...

hey hey

Lemme confess..I was just waiting and waiting and waiting..ke kab mere blog pe aake utsaah ke do shabd kahoge..and somehow you did! Thanks!

That doesnt mean I wasnt reading yours..I actually started reading this post and it took me to my own memory down the lane and it took quite some time to read yours completely and here I am!

well, when nostalgia strikes, you go on a loooong drive...Most of your memories are mine too..But in some ways different too..Kabhi likhte hain!

Cheers!
Amit:)

Mama - Mia said...

amit - itte saare blogs working hours mein padhna mushkil ho jaata hai!! :p

hope to read your version sooon!

cheers!

abha

Lijy said...

that was sooo good.

I took me back to those days re. And now I really miss those lovely carefree days.

Wish could go back..

I specially miss cyceling to school in the 9th and 10th class. We used to enjoy it, and if it rained... Wow... it was just fun.

And with ur permission, am going to take up the tag and do it as soon as I can..

Yes, I know u did not tag me...

:)

Mama - Mia said...

lijy - pls to pick it up!! i wanted to tag everyone i read 'coz it will be so much to read everyone's account!! :) am waiting!!

cheers!

abha

Maggie said...

Hey Abha, thanks for stopping by my blog! This was a fun post - if I wasn't so bogged down with posts unwritten, I'd have taken up this tag too... :-)

By Deepa and Supriya said...

hi thefre,
first time here!!...thanks for a warm nostalgic post....took a walk down memory lane as well :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Abha,
Loved the tag..am working on it..will post it as soon as I get a chance

Preethi said...

lovely tag .. and great post.. am getting all nostalgic now!! :)

Unknown said...

Abha - lovely memories - wasn't life simpler then ? I loved reading your post .I have a thing about birthday parties , imli straight from the tree mixed with sugar and golis esp the kala ones !

Swati said...

What a nostalgic post ..lovely!

Anonymous said...

Today is your lucky day. Your blog's just been felicitated. By me. Please stop by and collect your award.
*T&C apply!*

Cheers,
Quirky Indian
http://quirkyindian.wordpress.com

Mama - Mia said...

maggie - i was ruing the fact that i reached your blog so late! Moppet and much tales are too cote to be missed! :)

orchid - thanx for dropping by!! and nostlagia is indeed mostly fun, nahi?! :)

munchkin's mommy - wheneva you get time!! i know you will do an awesome job of it!! :D

cheers!

abha

Mama - Mia said...

preethi - just the way your post made me go all nostalgic!! :D

EL - i always think life can be as simple if we let it be!! :) but then that could be my inherent optimisn talking! how have you been?! :)

swati - thankee! :D

quirky indian - award pour moi?? yiipeee!! i didnt even know you read my blog! :p but T & C apply? leme go and check it out!! :D

cheers!

abha

Tazeen said...

i cant remember any such fond memories of my childhood, i guess i only started living when i became a teenager.

Vidooshak said...

While the nostalgia value is good, just a little reminder: shopping is STILL an occasion based event. I only visit the malls to find easy parking. Wasn't aware that it misguided you into shopping anytime everytime.

Ditto for TV watching. You are STILL supposed to watch it only on Sundays. Just because I pop something into the DVD player everyday, does not mean you are expected to leave the kitchen and come running.

I do hope you will do an apologetory post soon. Like, "7 reasons why Savitri made a better Biwi than me". But first, I'd like some roasted papad please. OK?

Mama - Mia said...

tazeen - so when older you can always get nostalgic about the teenage!! :D

V - i laughed so hard afta reading this comment that people in our office are staring at me!! :p i romise some roast papad this evening!! :D

cheers

abha