Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year and Old Memories!

So, Happy New Year to all of you! As another year goes by, you are wished dreams fulfilled, warm hugs, true love, lasting friendships, success and loads of time with your loved ones! :) Yeah, this is also the sms I sent and some pals in blogosphere must have got it. Though it sounds like a forward, leme assure you its original! So I am always amused when I get my sms back from some friend! hehe!

I have to do posts on our Pune and Mumbai trips, with pictures ofcos (considering thats all you guys come here for!:p), but I need to be in a different mood for that! Just got some mails from my dad with scanned copies of some our old pictures and I thought might as well put some of MY childhood snaps too! I mean why should Cubby get all the "sooo cutes!" hehe!


Before that leme just share some snippets with Cubby

Scene 1:

Other day when i was again stuck at work till late because one particular client activity that had been delaying for almost the entire week.

M - So when you coming home?

Me - I dunno. I am stuck!

M - Antiquity, again?!

Suddenly I hear a voice pipe in! (M has kept the speaker on)

Cubby - Aaantikooti.

We laugh like crazy and ofcos make him repeat it zillion times! Then,

M - Say Signature!

Cubby - Sinneture

Me - Now say Daaru!

Cubby - Daauuu.

M - Bolo! Bewda

Cubby - beddaaa


Yes! We are like that only! We get cheap parenting thrills by making Cubby repeat stupid stuff! But we had a good laugh! Cubby too. And dontcha worry. We didn't do the daaru and bewda thing again! But hearing him say Aantikooti is just too cute to resist! :)


Scene 2 - We are sitting and having our breakfast. Cubby as usual say Deee (give) and takes a bite of whatever we are eating. As soon as he bites it, he goes Teekha (spicy!) with appropriate sounds and expression! How the heck did he know?! :p


Scene 3 - Its chhutti, so I am bathing him instead of Amma. I pour first mug of water and I hear a little admonishing voice saying Garam! And yesterday he used Kannada equivalent and whined "Bissi!".


When did my baby grow up so much?! :)


And now leme share some moments from my childhood! Very few pictures I realise now. On next trip home am gonna get all of em! :) Ofcos they are all faded and not so clear, but memories are precious, in whatever form! nahi?! :)

Guess which one is me?! Clue: Teeth! :p


So did you get it right?! Thats me with my Mum n Dad at my Grand pa's house in Pune.
It was my birthday and all those kids were my friends in Pune since I visite my grand parents at every available opputunity! I am in touch with the only guy in the picture. I do love my frock and to think my parents let me choose from pretty early on and I bought some seriously horrid stuff!


Again in Pune. The toothy smiles started pretty early on and almost never stopped i guess!


Thats my bro and cousin and me doing the aarti for Bhaidooj.

Exchange Mela: Me wearing Mom's jeans and shirt and Mom wearing my skirt and blouse!

This is at Aurangabad during new years. I guess, I had started being the awkward teenager and my bro loved to make weird faces for EVERY picture. When he was little younger he wanted to pose with some toy or the other and yeah the tongue wagging! :p I started fitting into Mom's clothes for a bit. But that affair was short lived as my mom is very thin and has a small built. So now I don't fit into her clothes and she has to wear mine after altering them to make em smaller! Sigh! Also remember the fights that started with Dad around the time jeans came along about merits of looooong lasting "Abhyankar" chappals from Kolhapur with Jeans and why do I need another nicer pair of footwear! :p


This is Feb 97! TWELVE years ago almost!
This was our standard picture of four before going out for dinner on someone's birthday. This was Dad's birthday. Bro and me started picking places to eat pretty soon! It was quite an occasion! :)

Another one of Dad's birthday!

I think both of us (bro n me) were trying to make sure that we don't open our mouths while feeding cake to Dad! :)

Had fun seeing these again. Earlier everytime we got bored, we used to pull out all the albums and see old photos. We did that again this time when I went home. It's always fun to see how we and others around us have changed over a period of time. I wonder how will Cubby react to his parent's old pictures. Will he also laugh at our clothes and hairstyles, the way we laughed at our parents?! How many stories will I remember to tell him? Will he also see our wedding album and ask "Why wasn't I invited?"
We had decided that we will keep printing our digital snaps as well, because watching them on computer is like reading an e-book. You can see the pictures alright, but they cannot be a warm and cozy family affair albums are. We have lot of albums, but we haven't printed new ones in quite sometime. Should do it soon!
Are you guys ok with pictures just on computer? Whats your nostalgia factor?! :)

36 comments:

BabaJain said...

What a pleasant surprise and wonderful New Year gift. You are giving Kabir run for his money. poor fellow has compitition and what compitition.

Dee said...

ANTIKOOTI...

I love that.. can u pls record it and mail it to me..

Pliiiiiiiiiiiiiissss...

Just Like That said...

u know what - you look like Cubby :-D or rather, Cubbly looks like you as a kid - near the forehead...and something abt the smile as well. and yeah, the smile is well in evidence , but it adds to the face value:-D

Smita said...

"Its chhutti, so I am bathing him instead of Amma"

Bathing him instead of Amma...hmmm....hmmm...hmmmm :D :D


Seeign old snaps is always a lovely journey down the memory lane...

Hus for Cubby :) everything he does is so cute...

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Easily one of your best posts ever, my friend.

Definitely one of my favourites!

Timepass said...

nice pics..btw mere taraf se cubbyr ko yeh repeat karne ko boliye..DPYA..(as u stayed in matunga, u must be knowing the full form) daru pike yeda aaya!!!LOL

Preethi said...

Something for you at my blog

D said...

What cute pics!

I miss the simplicity of our childhood days. We didn't have so much of what kids have today but we had so much fun, didn't we?

Anonymous said...

hahahahahhahaha.....Abhs - Antikooti is the cutest !!!!!!

...and *gasps* he said Bisi ????????? WOW!!!!!!!

See how surprised and shocked I am...by the number of ???? and !!!

Loved the pictures totally, Abhs :) And like you said....its such a warm feeling to see ourselves and our people in picture albums :) It sometimes makes me cry :(

Angel's Flight said...

Toothy Abha!

Lovely pics....man I miss my pics now....in ur pics all u could see is teeth and mine all u can see is eyes!lolz

Hopefully will get my hands on them in the next trip back home

Cheers

Anonymous said...

nice to see your pics. And yes you look cute :)
now that you've got the compliment...can we have some more cubby pics please :) :) ...and btw im here for the pics as well as the lovely cubby speak and antics.

I love Lucy said...

Such lovely pictures,Abha! Looks like that killer smile was a part of you right from when you were little :)

And my oh my, our Cubby a big boy now!! Bissi,Theeka??!! Baap re!!

Artnavy said...

he looks a lot like u as a kid doesnt he?

and u shld make him say cheers each time from now on

happy 2009

Mama - Mia said...

Papa - and what a pleasant surprise to see your comment first on this post! :) thanks!

Dee - we are supposed to MEET! remember we are in the same city and all that jazz! no recording for you! :)

JLT - oh well! everyone says he looks exactly like M as a kid! me, i have no clue!! and i dont care!

smita - you mean mean woman!! :p and yes, watching old photos is such fun!!

namesake - you think so?! thanks! :)

TP - kyon mere bacche ko bigaad rahe ho??!! :p let him grow up a l'il! will teach him! and he will teach Punch! ;)

Preethi - will chk it out! aur yahan tak aa hi gaye the, toh post bhi padh lete! ;)

cheers!

abha

Mama - Mia said...

SnS - thanks to Amma who takes cares of him he is learning english, hindi and kannada equally! and i am not complaining! as long as he uses the right language with right people! hehe! and you toh need bahaana to get senti and cry! and i used to think I am overtly senti type! hehe!

AF - i can imagine those gorgeous, big eyes on a small face! :) get em!! and share em! :)

preeti - thanks!! hrrmmppff! :p yes yes! Cubby pics coming up next!

Lucy - thankee!! :) and yes Cubby is growing up at a dizzying speed!!

art - i am trying to teach him to say thank you and please first! :p his parents are almost teetotalers! so that cheers is gonna take time! Happy 2009!

cheers!

abha

Monika said...

Your smile is just the same.

Love Cubby's snippets....lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey lovely post! I checked a couple of posts earlier...will return. Your son is so cute with his new words. And your pics are precious. I love watching old pics :) Infact I have some from my husbands family too!

Vidooshak said...

What an original way to start the new year! Plus, a break from the roller coasting cuteness of the Cub. I might have fallen in love with you earlier had I seen this blog 15 years ago. Am glad that Cubby decided to take your eyes and smile. I pray he takes after your simplicity, optimism and family-values as well. And a bit of my "baaaad maaaan" genes. Then there's no stopping him!

Thank God he has learnt so much Kannada, maybe more than Hindi. It's nice to hear him say "Aite" and "Bisi". I only wish he wouldn't put an "OO" after all English words-- like Bangaluru, Eggu, Pennu, Spoonee, Truckoo...

Sigh

Mama - Mia said...

Monika - thanks! and am sure Cubby's gyaan... this is just the beginning!

Homecooked - welcome and thanks!! and yup got some of Hubby's chilhood too! should put em up next! your blog is awesome! something i am really bad at... cooking! but i loved the pasta recipe! :)

Vidooshak - awwwww! *hugs*! and yes, while we welcome him learning kanadda totally, i wish he wouldnt get the accent! :D aage aage dekho hota hai kya!

cheers!

abha

Usha said...

Oh yes the smiles seem to have started early indeed and aren't we glad that they have remained as fresh and pure!
What are you doing to that sweet kid - daaru, Bewda indeed! I think just for this I should take cubby away from you and keep him with me. ;)

Monika said...

wow!!! that was a brilliant way to start the new year :) loved the post... and would not say soooo sweet abha:)

belated happy new year

WhatsInAName said...

Oh yes Abha. Going through hard copy album of yore are so so fun! I used to be an awkward teenager. My kids do laugh seeing me there. Am sure Cubby wont spare you either ;)
Would love to hear antikooti before he starts pronouncing it properly ;) Reminds me of that ad where Papa asks his baby to Czechoslovakia ;) hahahaha

couchpapaya said...

abha - happy new year to all of u too!! loved ur trip thru memory lane and all the old photos along with cubby's babytalk ... i try and print out all the pics too, hate the impersonal browsing on the comp. also, hoping we werent in mumbai/pune at the same time (tho i think we were), am kicking myself for not mailing u .... in my defense, it was a crazy, hectic, roller-coaster of a trip (cant really call it a vacation) :((

Anonymous said...

Happy new year!

And that is so funny, him repeating daaru and bewda. Hilarious!

(Um, yeah, we're like that too, sometimes. It's fun.)

Anonymous said...

Good one...always nice to look at old photographs.

And Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Quirky Indian

Itchingtowrite said...

a little something for u on my blog. http://itchingtowriteblogs.blogspot.com/2008/12/thank-you.html

Indian in NZ said...

Happy New YEar to you too ! lovely post.

Mama - Mia said...

Usha - well! for that you will have to meet us!! yayyy!! :D and whats life without little fun at a l'il baby's expense! he has enough at ours!! hehe!

Monika - you mean mean woman!! when you do yours like this, i will also not say so sweet! bachpan ki yaadon ke saath bachkaani harkatein!! :p HNY to ya too!

WIAN - ya! Che word is next on our list! rather we will come up with something more interesting and complicated! :p and yes, i KNOW Cubby will laugh at my pictures! circle of life! :)

CP - yes we were in Mumbai at the same time. WIAN tol me that you might call me! but i totally empathize with you because we hardly got time the 5 days were there! but we should meet in blr! :) next time perhaps?! HNY!

cheers!

abha

Mama - Mia said...

mummyjaan - yeah! l'il bit tedha medha fun is good! and yeah! makes for great blog material! hehe! HNY to you too!

QI - yes it is!! funny to see how we change and evolve! HNY QI! Have a brilliant year ahead!

ITW - moi??!! will hop over now!

2b's mommy - HNY year to you too. hope this year brings lots of love n health in the family! :)

cheers!

abha

~nm said...

Wow! You pictures reminded me of my pics..the older ones are just like yours..the faded, pinkish tinge.

What a lovely lovely post as always! :)

Mampi said...

This is really nice...
Thanks for sharing.
your pics do distract us,
but antikooti takes the cake,
no competetion for cubby, our hero.

Mama - Mia said...

~nm - its so noce to have you back in my commnets space! you were being missed! :) and herres to many more faded photos rediscovered! :)

mampi - hhrrmmppff! fine fine! Cubby is the hero! :p he is just too cute, aint he?!

cheers!

abha

Unknown said...

Did you ask him to say " Czechoslovakia" ? ;p

But what a lovely post! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it...and yes, I would also prefer seeing pics as albums but we never seem to find the time to take p/o s. Infact we have lovely empty frames hanging all ove rthe house waiting for their pics!

Mama - Mia said...

avanti - now you dont have to carry roll to get it D?P. just upload it on these multitude websites, play by card and it will getd elivered at your place! there's snapfish! and picsquare.com, though i dunno if they do deliveries abroad!

cheers!

abha

eye-in-sty-in said...

loved this post.. Its very cool :D

Mama - Mia said...

eye - you think so??!! :D thankgoo!

cheers!

abha