So the brilliantly creative and funny and recently discovered (my loss) Maid In Malaysia tagged me tell you about my domestic...errr... horrors! There is indeed no other word that can describe those situations which are a very literal as well as metaphorical black marks on this whole womanhood business! Least in my case it's too literal! ;)
The first one is really old... when i was reallly young! Yeah weird paradox! :p I used to spend my summer vacations at my mausi and mama's place in Kolhapur. I loved spending time with my cousin who is just 15 days elder to me. I was quite tall then. (No. I didnt shrink! Duh! but kinda stopped growing any taller and stayed at measly 5'6!). So, one day my mausi wanted to removed a packet of oil from the loft. Me, thinking, I am as tall as the next guy on stilts, said "Oh! Don't bother with chair and all, I can take it down with my... errr bare hands and toes arched!"
I cannot believe I actually did what I did next. I couldn't reach with my hand stretched (what with my haath not being kanoon ke) and toes arched. So I should have just given up and got a chair. Right? Right? Nooo, Wrong! I decided to jump and pull it off the loft! Yup my hand touched it, and my fingers closed in on the edge and before my feet touched the ground, the packet of oil had hit the ground AND split open! I had oil on my cousins smartest dress (we used to exchange clothes!) and oil all over the floor. I don't even remember by mausi's reaction. I am sure she would have whacked my sister or given least a looong lecture, but since it was me, we just got down to cleaning the floor. Rather she did, me thinks! Thats when I came to know that sprinkling lotsa aata on oil is the best and easiest way to clean it!
Though I do wish I had learnt this lesson in theory.
Cut to recent past... year 2005. Married for almost a year and still pretty much clueless and learning ropes in the kitchen. We had just shifted to this house we are currently living in. A pal had come to stay with us from Chennai. We didn't have a fridge and Mumbai common sense said you need to boil the dal or any other khaana well once, to let it survive to the leftovers stage! So, I put the kadhai with dal on gas and came and sat outside. We were almost set to sleep. Tired after long day of shifting and setting up stuff, we all slept off. M n me in the bedroom and friend in the hall. We slept like logs apparently because we woke up to a kadhaai with what used to be dal clinging to its edges yucky smelling and charred beyond recognition! The gas miraculously was still burning.
Buddy S, conveniently blamed us saying she had a cold and her nose was blocked no thanks to that. The funny thing is that the odour of burnt dal took like a week to completely go away inspite of brilliant ventilation of the ghar! We could smell it the moment we entered the house after day's work, but for life us we don't know how we slept through it WHILE it was burning to cinders! :P
This got repeated once again! This time it was milk left to boil. M was traveling and I just went off to sleep forgetting about it. Though it was lot more dangerous because the flame had gone off but the gas was leaking. Thank god I didn't have any switches to turn on as soon as I woke up. M keeps talking about how he could have returned to a blown up home! Brrrr!
What happened to the bartans you ask?! Well the kadhai got back to its original colour with serious scrubbing ministrations for a week least and the doodh ka pateela had to be thrown because it's bottom gave away and the colour won't get better either. The burnt taste just refused to go!
As MinM says it's domestic horrors in 80 clicks! So time to tag fellow bloggers! Suma, Swati, Puja, JLT, Anu, Monika, Avanti, Homecooked (kitchen goddess, do you have any?) and Deepa. Tell us ladies! :D
Have a great weekend you all! :)
28 comments:
What would go well with this blog is that classic pic we took of the old house.... hyuk hyuk! You really were horrendous with the domestic angle, weren't ya?
;-)
Arre yeh toh kuch bhi nahi hai, I've had more serious accidents in the kitchen :)
But its fun to read how other people screw up too and I'm not the only one..LOL
Tales of a bachelor
Take a pan of oil.
Put it on flame.
As the gas takes time to heat the oil, you cool off with a beer.
Since cold beer does not go with hot kitchen, retire in bedroom.
Pop in a movie dvd to go with the beer.
Get engrossed in movie and fall asleep.
In the mean time, the hot oil has started smoking and finally caught fire.
Wake up when the smoke alarm goes off.
Call friend to ask why this buzzing noise wont stop.
On realising what is happening, take the hot flaming pan of oil - which by now has burnt half of the microwave - and place it on the kitchen floor.
This brilliant manouver leaves a burnt mark in the kitchen floor, so perfectly round, it'll make your geometry teacher really proud. It will make your apartment owner really mad too! Just a parting gift for him to remember you by :-)
This should be a freaking post! Can you add me to the tag pls? :-)
you asking me to sift through 30 years worth of sootfilled, burnt memories? sigh ...as you say! let's see what i manage to remember
:)
but having read yours, perhaps i should pat myself on my back...you are quite good at burning stuff...
So what if you were 'horrendous' back then...you're quite the domestic diva now! After all, look at you giving us all advice on what to do to counter oil spills!
And the burnt kadhais...yup, been there, done that!
v. memorable tag, i must say. thanks for the memories... i laughed out loud!!
oooh I have one....I tried making Sabudana khichadi...
Lets just say the end result was.....I had to throw the whole freaking kadhai away!..lolz
like EISI..thts a post!
Cheers!
The gas leak is scary!! And burning and all I have done plenty, once the kitchen was sunlit and I didn't see the flame, it was on all afternoon, no pan on top of it...
The atta on oil is new for me :) Will try next time :)
Good to know I am not the only helpless one here. My mother in law makes me feel it is criminal to be an Indian housewife and not to be an expert in the kitchen. My culinary diasters are too many to count.First time on your blog. Great writing.
V - oh well! the pig sty look never really came in vogue in recent past! or maybe it did? ahem! ;)
priyanka - take up this tag then! make me feel good the way i made you feel less of a doofus! ;)
spike - you are tagged!!!! PLEASE do it! :)
suma - considering I am the one who is good at burning stuff. shouldnt you be patting at my back! oh! and am sure domestic disasters go beyoind burnt bartans! ;)
namesake - i am still nowhere near Diva! am sure i would have nothing to pester my daughter in law with! hehe!
AF - okie! YOU are tagged too! give us the dirt lady! ;)
IHM - yeah it was scary! but now we laugh at it! and seriously no pan?! :p and yeah! any aata is good!
aparna - Ma in alws are meant to be ignored MOST of the times! and you will be happy! :) and ask her tips, stroke her ego a bit and you have a win win situation! :) and yeah! whole lot of us burn stuff all the time! so its cool! ;)
cheers!
abha
couldn't help laughing out loud at your mis-adventures. i remember very well though how, when i first visited your place, you dished up some delicious nibbles, and i sat on your kitchen counter eating them up quicker than you could finish frying them. you're not a total disaster :)
hugs m
wow great tip, atta on oil ! i wld never have thought of it. this was funny, atleast i know i'm not alone :) and 5'3" wld never call those extra 3 inches measly !! tho it does mean i have a stepladder arnd at all times :(
my mil once pointed out over-boiled dal, until then i thought all dals were meant to be boiled until unrecognisable yellow mush. actually, the overboiled thing still escapes me ...
LOL....my bevkoofi's are too many to list. You called me kitchen goddess babes...now how can I list my goof-ups...aakhir reputation ka sawaal hai ;)
mags - you are too kind! by now the disaster levels are defi lower! :D
CP - i thought everyone knew about aata on oil! easiest way to clean that use tissues or god forbid water! :p and yeah dude, overcooked is better than undercooked! esp with dals! subzi can still be a tad crunchy! which reminds me my beggies used to get cooked soggy too! sigh!
cheers!
abha
Ha the cat is out of the bag!!? I think I am beginning to understand my I am in so much in demand whenever M has to go overseas on work.
How I wish ma-in-law read your blog instead of pa-in-law. Adventures in the kitchen would appear small crackers, aparna would agree with me.
enjoyed- keep them coming.
I can't remember burning anything that badly! :D
Except once, when the milk over boiled and left the vessel charred black.
Oh yes, once while making Bisi Bele Bath - i burnt the cooker! :D
it took my maid 3 days to clean it all off!!
HC - it would be nice to know that kitchen goddesses also have humble beginnings! ;)
Papa -this was never a secret! and ma in law burnt one pateela in bangalore to cinders! ;)
pixie---errr.. first you say you didnt burn anything and then list out two things on top of your head! comeon! tellus more! ;)
cheers!
abha
Hey Abha,
The tag is done, check it out!! I had been in my drafts since Saturday, finally managed to get it all done today!!
Deepa
ha ha ha .. wonderful stories.. and all too familiar.. did i tell u abt the time i went on a 2 day camp and left the press turned on and placed in position on a table. The cloth went, the table went and thankfully nothing else!! :-)
Kitchen goddess indeed.. join the club.. I am equally bad if not worse :)
deepa - LOVEd reading it! :D
hdwk - all too familar?! you too?! :p the table burnt, eh?! whow!
preethi - would i looove to hear your atke on this preethi! pls let us laugh! :D
cheers!
abha
Now that the disasters are behind you, I'm sure you are very much a kitchen goddess now! :)
This is the mystic btw :)
done the tag
http://monikamanchanda15.blogspot.com/2009/05/oh-horrors-day14-post-16.html
aiyyo... the supremely overcooked dal/milk we kinda scary..mainly coz they had the potential of being dangerous...
the spilt oil was somehow funny tho...thats coz i pictured ur face when there was oil all around.. u know the kind that records the trasition from super confidence to "oh.my.gawd." in 10 secs flat? i have had a few of those myself..embarassing then, funny now..
btw 5'6 is NOTTT measly!!!!!
have i told u lately that i love ur blog and love ur sunny smile that comes thru in every pic? You really have a fantastic smile that brightens up my day also. :-)
R - no! i am still not! M actually recooed a separate blog for my domestic disasters! hrrmmppff!
Monika - me read! but was not able to comment! :( am gonna retry in some!
mandira - yup! they were dangerpus alright! but then we survived, so we laugh! and yeah, am sure my face was something like you described! hehe! and 5'6 aint measly but i thought i was gonna be least 5'8 and then i kinda just stopped! bah! and plus i hate the fact that my legs are not long! then least i could have LOOKED taller!
HDWK - awwww! thankoo muches! :)
cheers!
abha
nahiiiii...late ho gayi main!! :|
lol!!! abha!!! u are my best friend! that oil spill was too funny to imagine hahahah
and 5'6 is measly? what wud u call me? 5'2.5 ???? :P
my worst was, i was cooking in a hurry, i dropped the masala dabba on the floor....
clang!!! all that was remaining to be said as my mom glared at me was "holi hai!!"
:D
lol!..thanks for the "atta cleans oil" tip !
Post a Comment