Wednesday, August 26, 2009

i dunno what this one is about!

This is going to be one of them random posts where I write for the heck of writing types.


I am really terrible at this whole story telling business and even when I read out of a book Cubby usually runs away within 3 pages odd. I mean I start yawning myself, so can't blame the poor kid. This being the case my preferred mode of putting Cubby to sleep (apart from just letting him drift off) is to sing to him and give in to his "Haath Pheno" demands. That day he was especially jumpy and I volunteered to tell him a story so that he would lie down just for the novelty factor. He did too and I was officially lost and stuck.


Anyhoo, the best I could come up with was the thirsty crow story and I got it over with in my usual unimpressive fashion to be bombarded by "Phinse sunao, Cnow ki stony!" (Cubby replaces L and R with the N sound!). I finally managed to get him to sleep and now he comes up with random" Stony sunenge" requests leaving M and me very flummoxed.


Yesterday was the weirdest. So M yet again told him the crow story and I offered to sing instead. What does our little guy come up with?


"Cnow ka gaana sungenge!"


?????


Considering he was in a realllly foul mood and verry sleepy, nothing else would do. We were racking our brains for an appropriate child friendly rhyme with crows and could come up with nothing.


Mean mommy then created the base by asking Cubby "Crow ko Hindi mein kya kehte hai?" to which the child replied "Kauaa" and what followed was an enthusiastic rendition of "Jhooth Bole kauaa kaate" by the mother and beanbag music by the father and lot of crazy laughter interspersed in between.


True to his current mood, the same was done about 3 times for His Highness and then a scolding later we were on the bed ready to go off to la la land! This was just so that this memory doesn't get lost! :)


Meanwhile Cubby got gifted subscription to this monthly magazine called Toot. Thanks Mehek! :) It is a delightful little magazine with a whole lot of art, craft, puzzles, jokes, general knowledge and stories thrown in. It is ideal for kids aged 3yrs to 6yrs and I am saving em for later while Cubby enjoys just the pictures right now. If you are in Bangalore you can call 080 - 32947354 / 22483701 and ask for Mr. Benher Alexis who can come to your address and fill out your subscription which costs around Rs.600 (which is what? a pair of jeans these days?). You can also check out the website and find a contact in your cities! :)


And here is another funny "we are like this only" post by M about another God being offended in another part of the country thanks to another unacceptable mention in yet another Bollywood movie. You have to read it thrice to get all the puns the man has managed starting from the title to the next 10lines of the post! :)


Oh! Before I say ta on this post, here's what Cubby has been upto these days. Everyday, all the contents of the toy box are removed and put in an order only Cubby understands. The result is something like this;




The creation! :)





The Creator with his creation!


Am sure there is some order to what seems like chaos! :)


How has this week treated you till now. Me, I can't wait for the weekend!


Ciao! :)


32 comments:

G said...

hehehe, check out http://nychthemeron.blogspot.com/2009/08/storytime.html and you may have someone who can advise you better before things go offhand :)

Vidooshak said...

Love the last pic, where he has such a knowing expression.

RGV was in haste. Had he waited a bit, he could have found the perfect Gabbar in li'l Cubby. Even Basanti was saved eventually, but when this bachcha roars: "Gaao!", the entire village sings-- and keeps singing and singing and singing and....

Kaun chakki ka aata khilate hain aap, is chhokre ko?

Monika said...

" terrible at this whole story telling business ?"- Hard to believe Abha, coz ur posts tell such amazing stories.

Love the pics

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Awww! Look at the smile on the little innovator's face! So sweet!

And what a lovely memory! Try introducing him to other animal stories now...there are loads thanks to the Hitopadeshas ans Aesop! :)

Will check out M's post...have started laughing in anticipation already!

starry eyed said...

Firstly....BIG HUGS to my partner in terrible story-telling;) I always think I must have some genes missing mom-wise to be this neglectful of reading to my kids! Have just about managed to establish a 4 page reading out to Dhruv at bedtime sometimes! Divya is lucky that her dad is a majorly enthu story-teller and reader with special sound effects and all:)

And Cubby is at least inclusive of other toys and animals in between his car arrangements! Dhruv also has his peculiar car arrangements..at least now he's able to explain it to us!

Cubby's lisps are adorable! And his smile is getting as charming as yours!

Indian Home Maker said...

Adorable pics as usual Abha :)

Thirsty crow lol... Goldilocks with voice changes "Who ate my porridge?" and ending with bears and the little girl becoming friends was my daily lullaby-story for so many years., I had constant throat pain ... gosh you bring back memories with your posts Abha :)

I read the posts, and thought it was brilliant!!I was irritated when I had read the news that morning....

Suhas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rohini said...

Awwww... and are you allowed to clean up his mess...er...arrangements

Suhas said...

Story telling is very important for development of kids. Their imagination soars, Dad's or mothers voice soothes their stress.

I still remember my mother telling so many stories and I remember NEELAM PARI srories I used to tell you kids.

Keep up the good work.

Cantaloupes.Amma (CA) said...

Me too ... cant't wait for the weekend .... somehow the week seems very long ... the first thing in the morning I asked BP today was is it friday? I was hoping to hear yes, but my heart said it would be thursday and what does BP say "Wednesday" .. What ??? Its wednesday ?? and I was wide awake :(

Indian in NZ said...

Hey I sing that Kauwa story in hindi in rhyme form to Bubbles ( yeah she still likes me to sometimes sing to her at bedtime and I am so terrible that I still sing nursery rhymes to her !). It goes: ek kauwa pyasa tha, ghade mein thoda paani tha....do you remember that one ?? I sing it in the same tune as twinkle twinkle little star..!!

I am lucky that D is a good story teller, so he gets to tuck the kids in at bedtime with a nice story which could sometimes be madeup ones as well but the kids can't tell the difference !!

This weekend I am looking forward to go to Mt Ruapehu for some fun in snow, skiing, snow boarding etc. Winter is ending and kids want to go there before the snow starts melting. We are starting early morning on saturday !

couchpapaya said...

ohh that last pic is adorable!! i always used to think parents were amazing, being able to make up stories on demand and assumed it was an acquired skill. u just burst my bubble !

Violet said...

:) My daughter also replaces R/L sound by 'N'. Like when I ask her what do you do in the park, she says- Jhoona jhoonti.. figure that out! On an unrelated note, how do you/your mom make sizzlers at home? I have been dying to do that since I saw your pics last month :) Just a small outline would do.. especially where are the veggies arranged and cooked, and what is the infra required. Thanks!

Momo's Ma said...

glad cub likes toot and he sure is a neat kid. the arrangement is so neatly done. wow. n , u future writer of fiction, cant tell stories.. u just need a little more patience i think, else with ur voice and style, im sure u will do a wonderful job.

Mama - Mia said...

G - oh i read shruthi's blog, but i am not blessed with her creativity! sadly! :(

Vidooshak - yeah! except this gabbar whines and bawls saying gao naaaaa!!! hehe!

M & A - i wish i was that expressive with my facial expressions! plus i lack imagination! sigh!

namesake - i should try revising bachpan ki learnings! hehe!

starry - glad to find a fellow mate! am sure there is otha interesting stuff you do unlike me who is pretty bad at almost everything! bah! and I hope Cubby will be able to tell us about his creations soon too! :)

IHM - goldilocks, eh?! :) i shall bring Cubby to you for a story telling session! :) and the news is irritating, but its best to laugh off such stuff, nahi?! :)

rohini - oh! he has to clean up his arrangements! many a small aeopanes have been crushed under these adult feet! :p

dad - i wish i had your imagination! meanwhile we are trying to improve our skills! :D

CA - tell me about it! :) this week seems unending!

2B's mommy - wow!! there is actually a rhyme form? pls to mail me the lyrics!! :D and i think made up stories are even nicer! my dad would always make up stories and tell us! :) and skiing and snow boarding! woohoo! have fun lady!

CP - oh well! maybe its just me you see!! i know most parents are good at this stuff! dont lose your heart as yet!! :D

Violet - awwww! thats so cute! thats exactly what Cubby would say!! :D and as for the sizzler! leme get a propah recipe recipe from ma in law and put it up here 'coz i really have no clue!! sigh!

cheers!

abha

WhatsInAName said...

haha! what a cute lisp is that.
And reg the story you just took me down the memory lane . My kid used to ask me for stories having weird characters like giraffe and ostrich! And i the smartie used to replace them in known stories ;-) but yeah it requires a hell lot of patience.
why dont you put up the video of jhoot bole kauwa kate ;-)

Toonfactory said...

Hehehe...U could've sung what a neighboring naughty Bihari kid used to sing long long ago in Bhilai...while throwing pebbles at the unlucky passerby...

Ek Kauwa Pyasa Tha,
Ghade Mein Thoda Paani Tha,
Kauwa Laya Konkar (that's how he pronounced Kankar)
Paani Mein daala Konkar,
Konkar Goyaa Neeche, Paani Aaya Upar,
Kauwey Ne Peeya Paani,
Khotom Huyi Kahani!

Toonfactory said...

His smile is really Kamini Kutil smile that'll make you do what he wants you to do..LOL...

BabaJain said...

I recollect clearly that M was a great story-teller when he was Kabir's age. We were in Hyderabad and locality girls would tell us long stories M was telling them and that too in telgu.

Try to activate Kabir's genes by asking him to tell you stories at bedtime. Like you he may go off to sleep faster or Like M may keep yapping all night. Game to take the risk?!! Ofcourse which language he would use is also dicy.

Every child is a story-teller at birth, otherwise how can they keep yapping non-stop to themself? Normally they stop when adualts intervine.

Kabir is likely to have a storyteller within him. Would be worthwhile to give it a try.

Mama - Mia said...

Momo's ma - you know i seriously lack imagination! i can write about stuff i have seen and experineced! nothing more! and my intonations suck! but hey i will try hopefully! :)

WIAN - put up a video of MY singing?! :p and then you guys will think how the heck does the kid sleep with this voice!! :D ostrich? really! man! you have difficult girls!! ;)

alok - THANKS for the lyrics! another commenter mentioned that there is a song too! now i shall sing this to Cubby! you are such a treasure trove of stories and songs! it will be a pity if you dont fall for gruhasthashram! :) and yeah! the smile is just getting too cute i tell ya! :D

Papa - yup! baat mein dum hai!! come to bangalore and bring out the story teller in him! and M has been impressing girls with his kahaniyaans since bachpan, eh?! ;)

cheers!

abha

eye-in-sty-in said...

the cubby tales are fun to read, but being single, sometimes I am flummoxed while commenting :D
This is just to let u know that even if i dont comment, I do read...
PS: all will be fine till u decide to take a "cubby quiz"!

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha I cannot believe this..that you can't tell stories..Everytime,I read your posts,I feel like,we are sitting down for a chai,and you are telling the story..:D
and that was so cool..crow ko hindi mein kya bolte hain!!:D
BTW,that haath pheno thing..soo cool..Aadi lisps too and her version is Back mein Sulale!LOL
Lotsa love to Cubby!

BabaJain said...

Beta everyone knows that practice makes perfect.I wanted M to win you over hence made him start as early as possible.Am so happy and satisfied that I was successful in my mission.

Get ready to join Kabir in the school. Time you learnt chianese to begin with!!!

aMus said...

that's such cute talk by cubby. and i guess you should sing your stories just for the novelty factr :)

i'm lucky, the hubby weaves some marvellous stories.

and LOVE those pictures :D

Anonymous said...

hey, my earlier comment vanished!!

love the pictures!
and awww.. u've captured it all so beautifully

Anonymous said...

Whats with these kids and their need to spread out all the toys in their toy box on the floor?

I can't sing halfway decently and when I do, the boy just says, "Thank you Amma. Stop it."I swear he says that. That should explain it all. (I personally think, it ain't that bad).

I envy those people who can tell amazing stories.

Usha said...

cubbyn ka kahani sunenge phinse sunao na

Mama - Mia said...

spike - i know your predicament! i appreciate you even reading this fluff! :D

little diva - awww! aadi is a sweetheart!! and their lisps are damn cute! and i seriously such at story telling! gah!

papa - oh well! i was the one running after your son! :p and that chinese comment is just spam me thinks! i wish i knew what it said tho! :D

suma - yahan seedhi toh story sunaani nahi aati ki ab gaake sunaenge!! :p and i should also check with husband if he is good at this stuff! poor Cubby! ;)

richa - thankoos! :)

naren's ma - yeah! they all love emptying the toy box! and am sure my days of singing are short lived too! hehe!

Usha - only you could have said so much in just one line!! :D

cheers!

abha

Swati said...

hahhaha..too good ..i am sure you wud have read the "TORY" story on Aryan's :) Crow ka gaana hame bhi sunao na please.

Uma said...

LOL! My daughter used to say, 'next' after each rhyme and it had to be in the exact order as it appears in the CD. There are times when I've sung the entire CD in loops before she dozed off... It is tiring!

Anonymous said...

Something awaits you on my blog :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm such a bad story teller too. In fact today I was browsing for a guide to story-telling book.
I like his arrangement of toys, see all the airplanes are aligned :)
Kisses to Cute Cubby.