Thursday, July 29, 2010

of Food and sacrifice!

These two words usually don't go together in my dictionary. I mean I won't sacrifice my food for anything in this world. I might sacrifice something for good food though... So my first statement does not hold true in that case! ;)


Anyway, my parents and uncles had come over for just 2 days for Cub's birthday (these are the moments you feel totally blessed) and they came loaded with gifts for Cub and food for us. They know us so well! ;) So Cub's favourite Ujoba (also known as Mango-waala aadmi because he sends us hapoos peti every year) got us some salted pistachios. I LOVE salted pista and cashew. Only trouble is no one can eat one and in this case it was impossible to keep track unless you saw the pile of shells in front of you. Then one also remembers making Pista shell flowers for some school year's Diwali homework. (do kids still get that? we would always end up doing it on the last two days of the vacations).


So I decided very enthusiastically that I will eat as many pistachios it would take to make these phools with Cub.


So it was all sacrifice folks! For my child's sake! ;)


And we actually did end up making some and had fun while at it. Cubby painted the shells with me holding them between my fingers. So obviously i had more paint on my fingers than shells had! :D He also helped stick em on the base (which is shoebox flaps) and scribbled the background design. We used bacha hua crepe paper (streamers) from Cub's birthday party to make the handle.


The Plan is to send the final creations to folks as thank you from Cub for making his birthday special!


Here's some photos! :)




Sticking on the petals. Pity we don't have photos when he was painting the shells!




Even when hard at work, there is always time to pose!



Fake smile - part 1. With final creation!



Fake smile - 2. Different pose, same smile. He is MY son! ;)



Trying if it looks nice hung up on our bathroom wall!



The photu without models. Scribbling all over the base done by Cub! :)


Shruti, some day we might be good and enthu enough to participate in Artsy-Crafty! :)

16 comments:

Swaram said...

Oh u r already so Artsy-Craftsy. I hope Shruti announces the next theme in line with these :P
Gr8 creations there ... Cubby's smile is the bestest though ;)

Vidooshak said...

You capture it so well. I could relive the entire afternoon by this short post. Very proud of how you get Cubby's creative juices flowing... With me, all he gets to do is learn to recognize Amitabh Bachchan!

Unknown said...

I'm sure u n cub had lots of fun. The pista flowers look choooooooo cute. that actually falls in this months theme. So welcome to the artsy-craftsy family :D i'm putting up that post now!

Momo's Ma said...

well done cub n mommy. the flowers look lovely. tres tres creative.. n Jam, m sure he will start doodling like u one day. maybe draw out AB in cartoons.. :)

Zuludancing said...

Abha...

This post deserved d waiting period !
Was totally refreshing to see ur kid doing d artsy stuff..

Cheers
Aditya

bitsofchocolate said...

High-fives and joyous hugs on the first para

Lovely artwork - and super cute fake smiles (Mom's and Cub's !)

R's Mom said...

Great idea...great piece of work..and most of all...great fake smiles :):) I so loved all of them :)

Swati said...

Hey they look lovely !! Nice idea ..i should also eat some pistas this weekend :P

Suhas said...

I remember when we were kids with Akroat shell and groundnut shells we used to make Kasav for art class!!!

And of course the joint family effort for Kunal's art submissions!!! lol

Rohini said...

Nice! We coloured our pistachio shells and used them as counters for Snakes and Ladders and Ludo :)

Dee said...

lol @ d sacrifice for ur son!

I have the same problem with chips. Those disgustingly oily n unhealthy chips sold in B'lore bakeries! I cannot eat just 1, need at least a packet to satiate my cravings! Now, we know the mystery behind my weight :P

Cub's adorable even with his fake smile!

Just Like That said...

LOL! Nirupa Roy lags far behind. She didn't take pics and keep of what all she cooked for all her laadlas. You SCORE! :-D
Awwww.... isn't Cub's smile the cutesTTTTTT!!!!!

Violet said...

Cute post & cuter pics! I have done this shell craft in my school days, and even now whenever I see pista shells, I get this urge to do it again. It is one of the few things the non-artsy types like me could do. Great that you did with Cubby! Btw, no bump yet?? :P

WhatsInAName said...

Wow! That's absolutely creative whatever your main motive was :p :p I love these handmade stuffs. Have done so much while in school. And once every year, during golu, I do try to think something different. You have given me a wonderful idea for pistacchio rangoli :) thanks and hugs!
And may you win the artsy crafty comptt!!!

bouncingbubble said...

very creative, Abha! esply the orange flowers look lovely.

Mama - Mia said...

Swaram - i am anything BUT craftsy! i wonder if lue used to stick the shells fits with Shruti's theme! ;)

Vidooshak - ditto Momo's ma's comment! you are the infinitely more creative one. its all about when do you wanna teach him?! :)

Shruti - this months yaane, july ki august?! look at lazy me! ;)

Momo's ma - you know how much i am loving your arty streak! :)

adi bhai - thankoo thankoo! :D

PV - yes, you chocolate lover, hi five!! :D

R's mom - thankoo so much! :)

swati - yes yes! please eat and show me the results! ;)

dad - like the turtle idea! :) and yes Diwali homework artwork was a pain and fun at the same time!

Ro - thats so cool too! :)

Dee - it WAS sacrifice! what didja think?!;)

JLT - dude her proof is in every movie where she made alu paratha and gaajar halwa! ;)

Violet - what else didja make? pls to tell me! :) i am totally NOT craftsy!! suck at it big time! and dude i am HUGE right now. its just the camera hiding the bump!

WIAN - creativity WAS my main motive! how mean are you guys! ;) and dude, your golu so totally rocks! :) pista rangoli might be nice!

BB - thanks so much! me like orange ones too! :D

cheers!

abha