Monday, November 10, 2008

Fatherhood and M!

The Mad Momma did this gorgeous post on Making of the father telling us about OA's journey into fatherhood. It got me thinking about M as a father and so this post.


Proud Papa at the hospital

M is someone who is born to be a father, me thinks. He always got along famously with kids. Even now, he is comfortable playing it rough with kids every age than have same old conversation about recession and mutual funds with adults. The kids of course adore him and often forget that he isn't really their age.


Yeah! That's M under all those kids!!

To give you an example, one of M's biggest fans is his college friend's kiddo who is now about 5 years old. It happened a few year ago, we were supposed to go for a picnic together. His mom had told him there will be water fall there etc and that M and me would be accompanying them. He told his baby sitter all that and then spoke about M and me (he call us by name) with so much familiarity that the kind lady asked the friend in the evening "Are M and Abha's parents going to come to take care of them, or will you have to take care of them also!"


I always remember this incident and laugh. And it didn't stop there. Another time, we were supposed to watch Happy Feet with them. So the kiddo sweetly asked his mum "The way you are taking me for the movie, Abha is bringing M?!" Least I was proven to be an adult! :p


Managing smiles at some unearthly hour long after Mommy gave up!

Yet, M would always worry if he would be the same with his own kid. He would say "yaar kisi doosre ke bacche ko ek-dp ghnata entertain karna theek hai, par poora din! baap re!"

He would stay up with me every night till Cubby slept (which was very late for first few weeks), egg Cubby on to feed properly and trying to make me smile while I shed my breastfeeding tears and suffered post partum depression.

How can someone's hand be so small and soft?

And, I must say he is doing an awesome job. He is actually better with Cubby than I am. a Lot more patient and sensitive to his needs. There was a time when I was actually jealous of their bond leading to terrible fights between us. The poor guy could not believe that I can resent his love for OUR baby. But then that was another era, now that I look back.


On Cubby's first dinner out just after his naamkaran

Look! He is smiling at me! :)

And now he is laughing WITH me! :D

Champi! Tel Maalish! Are you laughing AT me?!

Today, I am happy to just see them together. M can't bear to see him cry while I mercilessly stand and let him bawl his heart out. I think we unconsciously keep playing "Good cop, bad cop" for all you know.


Happiest with my Papa!

Cubby's eyes light up when he sees his Papa, which incidentally was also his first word. M really knows how to make him smile and laugh. He comes up with new games and fun things to do. He is adept at all the standard baby stuff like changing clothes, diapers, cleaning potty, putting him to sleep, feeding etc. He gives him his dawaais on time and generally saves him when the mother threatens to whack his beloved Cubby.


Main tab bhi Papa ke haath se khaata tha!


Main abhi bhi Papa ki plate se khaata hoon!


A for Amitabh, B for Bacchan, C for Coolie...

You have to see it to believe the dedication with which they watch TV together! :p Cubby will take food only from Papa's plate because Mommy is the bad woman who gives him dull khichdi.


CubbyR is also the creative Papa's imagination and we quite like it! :D


You are SO cute that I could eat you up! With Ketchup!

So just when I thought I cannot love this man more for being such a perfect husband, he goes on turns out to be an even better father! :)

M did just this MUST read ONE Papa Post on his blog. I am thinking maybe he would have said this if he had uploaded these pics and done a daddy post! Hint M! You can do SUCH a good job of it. Till then, tell me have I said it right with pictures below?! :)


I pray to God for your good health and success

I will comfort you when you need me...


I will always stand behind you...

And carry you when you are tired to go on... on your own
I will help you discover new worlds...

I will share my can of juice with you

And say cheers over a glass of beer when you grow up

WooHoo! WE rock together!

With nice things said, how about not rolling over to my side of the bed?

Or worse, make ME your bed!

Thank you sweets for making this journey a lot more fun, by being there all the time and doing everything just right! You rock, pati M! :)

On a side note if you have 4 long minutes, check out THIS video. Total dhamaal and too cute for words!

42 comments:

Pipette's Mimi said...

aww sho shweet.. Way to go M!!

Anonymous said...

That got me all emotionally choked up :) I know what you mean because I see the same with the Munchkin and his Dad. People's marriages collapse after having babies but our marriage has became stronger than before. I mean ,there is nothing more attractive and sexy than a "Dad ", now is there? ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the story so far - very sweet. And I love love love the last pic. That's how BB sleeps on me too and I am sure M will vouch that it's a very sweet feeling! (forget about the shoulder pains - they last only for a few min anyway :) )

Dee said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww...

Just awwwwwwwwww...

I wonder how the DH wil be with kids.. He is gr8 with boys because like u said he likes to be rough, but I don know hw he will be with lil girls, which we are definitely having.. :D

A big kiss to Cubby for being the cutie-pie he is and big hug for M for being the perfect dad!!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Awww! What a lovely, loving post!

It's the same with me! No matter how mad I am with hubby, the moment I see him with our boys, my heart just melts!

Noodlehead said...

awwww, very touching A! I've seen first hand how good M is with kids.

And I think you've got it down perfectly with the last set of pics :) Rock on, M!

Angel's Flight said...

Abha,

this is the best post till date...oozing of love and family

Lots of love to you and ur wonderful family babe!

Cheers

Preethi said...

aaw.. what a lovely post!!

aMus said...

that was such a beautiful post...i think its wonderful to see the way we evolve as parents...its generally taken for granted that women ease into motherhood so glad to see a father in the limelight today...as usual your photos and the captions rock! :)

Vidooshak said...

[[sheesh]]

thanks, da!!! can't write more coz the keyboard got all blurry...

Monika said...

that was a very sweet post i am chocked... may be i will do one too :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post. :-)

Kids like me too. But their parents don't. Because I think kids need to know the truth about life, about how to deal with bullies in school and all that, and the moment I start, the parents scream..."don't you dare teach our child that S-H-I-T. Persona non grata, that's what I am.

Cheers,

Quirky Indian
http://quirkyindian.wordpress.com

Mama - Mia said...

mimi - thanks! :)

Munchkins mommy - true true! theres something so wonderful about seeing a man become a completely different person with their kid! :D

just another mommy - yup! there are times when M is holding him like that and is talking to someone on phone and cubby just sleeps off! :) once he slept on my back as i was lying down on my tummy! i had a tough time calling M softly enough to get cubby off! hehe!

Dee - oh! l'il girls have daddys' wound around their l'il finger!! we all should know! :D and these days girls are as rough if not more than the boys! so dontcha worry! :D

namesake - true all the way!! they are just different people! :)

cheers!

abha

Mama - Mia said...

angie - yeah! i feel totally left out when we are with a bunch of kids!! :)

AF - thanks! :) whats life without one cool family, eh?! i have a feeling S and you will do an even better job of it! :)

preethi - thanks!! :D

suma - i guess Dads today are playing bigger and bigger role in their kids' lives! Even the day to day stuff and not just bigger stuff like school admissions! :p and its so much more fun that way!!

V - Thanks for everything! :)

monika - yup! you should too! lets give these cool daddies their due, eh?! :)

QI - oh well! there is indeed an age to tell kids realities of life! i will let you in my home when cubby is l'il older! :p i am sure you are super with em! parents disapproving or not! :D

cheers!

abha

WhatsInAName said...

i dont blame M for getting all teary eyed :-)
lovely dedication to fatherhood! men dont show it but the emotions are always there and always so intense :-)
cheers to the lion and his cub and ofcourse the lioness ;-)

Usha said...

Totally wonderful. Having grown up with fathers who acted like they had difficulty recognising which one of us was which, it is so beautiful to see the bond that today's kids share with their fathers. Time we started downplaying the 'motherhood' and 'ma' sentiment (remember the unforgettable 'mere paas ma hai' bit?) and gave them their due share of credit and your post has done a wonderful job of it.

Mama - Mia said...

WIAN - trust you to leave a super nice comment!! thanks!! :)

Usha - so true! its kinda nice to say to daddy "par woh bass tumhaare paas rehna chahta hai!" :p least we get some relief!! i guess the changes started happening in when your generation becam parents. my dad was pretty hands on!! :)

cheers!

abha

Pinku said...

u have a cute blog here...i went and checked M's entry too and that was super cute too...

I dont have a kid yet but your post makes me want one just to see what my hubby does about it...he himself mostly behaves like a three and a half year old though.

Mampi said...

Another WOW post from Abha, this time for M and Cubby combo. Loved it,Especially the fact that M is someone who is born to be a father. So very rare is his species...

PG said...

such a cute post! they will suely develop a strong bond. And isn't it good that he can balance each other out when it comes to child raising. Y>Es, even Rishab's papa is also much more patinet than I am and I 'm appy that he takes care of the situation when the situation gets out of hand and I explode! :)
A wonderful post!

Mama - Mia said...

pinku - thanks and welcome! and why do you thing men get along better with kids in general?? they dont grow up! thats why! so sont worry! hubby will do a fab job with kiddo whenever that happens!! :)

mampi - thanks! and i think these days more and more men are being such good fathers! they might not start out of choice, but how long does it take to fall in love with babies and WANT to do everything for them! :)

PG - true! and on rare occassions he gets upset i calm down! :)its wonderful to have fathers like them, isnt it?! :)

cheers!

abha

Indian Role Player said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I love Lucy said...

Such a lovely post,Abha!
You have as usual said it all with so much simplicity and warmth.
It was a pleasure reading about M and his journey so far as a dad.
You guys rock...all 3 of you :)

Anonymous said...

lovely lovely lovely lovely!!

It was sooooooooooooo nice reading this post, Abs :) Really....makes me think if G will be this way when its his turn :(

and that video......I cudnt stop laughing at the things M was saying to get Cubby to eat !!!! And your laughs in b/w only made it more exciting for me :D

God bless you all :)

Mama - Mia said...

lucy - simplesally! thats me!! :) thanks for your sweet comment like always!! when do we get to read more from you?!

SnS - your enthusiasm is infectious!! :D you make me feel even more happy and blessed! :) and dontcha worry about G! they all finally do a good job! and just the way we dont compare kids, we shudnt compare daddies! ok?! :D and i wish that kinda talking helped to feed cubby now! but its totally cute, aint it?! :D

cheers!

abha

Jay said...

Brilliant. Amazing collection of innocent emotions. Too good.

Artnavy said...

that was a beautiful post about the two cute men in your life

G said...

chooo chweeet .... i am just so emotionally choked up right now!

Mama - Mia said...

trailblazer - welcome and thanks! :)

art - yeah! what would i do without them?! :D

g - oye! breathe breathe!! :) how are you doing?? and how SaGa doing?

cheers!

abha

Anonymous said...

love it love it love it...
wait, i need to rush to wipe my tears ...

Rohini said...

Lovely. lovely post. He is an awesome dad. My husband took a while to grow into his daddy shoes but we are getting there...

Mama - Mia said...

puja - :) zyaada mat rona nahi toh diya will get worried and hate me for making her mommy cry! :p

rohini - thanks! :) the good things is they eventually get there!! and thats all that matters! nahi?! :)

cheers!

abha

the mad momma said...

LOL! your husband left a shocked comment on my blog i think. now he knows who to blame for the sudden mush fest. lovely post babe. been trying to comment for two days but kept getting an error. i am nothing if not persistent!!

Mama - Mia said...

hehe! poor guy! :D i saw the one word shock!! :p he is nothing, if not eloquent when emotional! ;)

thanks MM! i have saved up lotsa brownie points with this post!ofcos now if i say anything about his aprenting skills, he asks me "do you have a blog post saying you are awesome mom?"

so much for mush fest! :p

cheers!

abha

Monika said...

Awwwww. .......cute pictures & cuter captions. M sounds like the totally perrrrfect father. :)

Mama - Mia said...

ansh ki mommy - your comment was being missed! :) yeah he is a very hand-on daddy!!

cheers!

abha

G said...

:) am doing great! just counting days now. Your post made me write a small one too..chk it out :)

Swati said...

Lovely lovely post and lovely pics ..I should also do a similiar one :)

Mama - Mia said...

g - loved your post and commented too!

swati - i missed your comments! and willw ait for your post! lets give daddies their due!! :)

cheers!

abha

D said...

This is so adorable... I'm convinced that M was born to be a father :)

Mama - Mia said...

D - so am i! so am i! :)

cheers!

abha

~nm said...

What a wonderful wonderful post Abha! The way you have shared the bond between the father and son is just amazing!