Haven't you watched it in innumerable TV serials and movies, when a person enters a dark room feeling all lonely and wondering why is no one talking to him/ her? There is click of the lock and as soon as they enter, there's lights, pretty decoration and smiling friends and family screaming "Surprise!!!!" The person being surprised (surprisee??) screams too and says "You guys!" with teary eyes!
Well, it has never happened to me! That is OK! But I can't even get it right when I am planning it for someone else!
First time attempt was M's birthday coupla years ago. Called his friends, got confirmations, got permission from boss to leave early, called the maid to come and help me, gave a buddy a shopping list, another was to get the cake, planned the menu (pav-bhaji!;)! Phew! I mean there i was, right on track, eh?!
Guess what I decide to do next?? I forget to take the keys to home!!!! AArrgghhh!! This means the key has to come from M, the surprisee! Sob! I manage to ask the buddy with shopping list who works near M, please get the chaabi. I get questioned about why do I need it early. I say I have just invited S n N for dinner, so I need to prepare. Sigh!
Sweet M as unused to surprises as me, believed my story. When we were chilling with S, he said I wish M n her kid were coming. He says it and they walk in within 5mins with a big cake. He keeps mentioning names and they keep walking in! :D He was so kicked and so was I with the pseudo-surprise party!
Next, it happened just yesterday. M was coming back from his trip and I decided to surprise him at the airport. He had luckily sent me the number of the taxi guy supposed to pick him up. I call him and request him to pick us up first. AS luck would have it his cell phone battery dies by evening and we are all dressed up, with nowhere to go. I was pacing up and down, muttering under my breath about stupid people, when the cab arrived all apologetic about his cell getting switched off. We are on our way! I smsed M saying his cab guy had called saying his cell is dead, but he will be there for sure to pick him up. Guess what M says?! He smses after landing saying "If he doesn't pick up my call, I will just book a taxi inside and come" EEPPPSS!
I was left with no choice but to tell him, please don't we are waiting outside with your cabbie! :( Even then, M's expression was priceless as he told me "Woman! You are crazy!" And I know he meant it affectionately! :)
Cubby was also thrilled to see his papa after two whole weeks and within no time we were back home, tired but too excited to sleep! :)
I know I have these flop surprises, but like we all like to say 'It's the thought that counts'!
And what came out of M's suitcase? That's for another time!
What's your favourite SURPRISE!!!! story?!
21 comments:
LOL on the taxi episode.
Add me to the list of not being able to surprise anyone. Not that I get it wrong, I just can't contain myself. Though I did manage to surprise coupla of bloggers on their kids birthday :)
It IS the thought that counts - and I'm sure M was very touched. R had thrown me a surprise b'day party last July - I was so stumped!
that is really so sweet
M is lucky to have u
we threw a surpsie party for navy on his bday the previous midnight- luckily he was not in his worst pair of pyjamas with all his office friends landing up
ddmom - the only person i did manage to surprise was my mom when M and me turned up the midnight of her 50th bday from blr to mumbai! :D
MM - oh M was verry kicked! esp the airport bit this sunday! he didnt dream of us traveling with 10month old and a 63yr old 50kms away at night! hehe! it was totally worth it! :)
artnavy - am equally lucky if not more to have M! :) oh yeah! they can really wear BAD pajamas at home, nahi?!
cheers!
MM again - when M decided to throw me a surprise bday party post shaadi (rather it was young college kids next door who wanted to!), he just told me this is what is happening! he was like i was not sure if you LIKE surprises! hehe!
cheers!
ROFL at the forgotten keys! You are priceless! :-D
Can imagine M being totally kicked, knowing how the current airport is in non-man's land. :-D
the only thought that crossed my mind, other than the heady elation of meeting Cubby right there on the other side of the door, was how i'll never be able to skip going to pick up anyone at the airport anymore. she'll go, if we can come-- with a 10 month old and a 63yr old at midnight-- then exactly how lazy are you???
;-)
but seriously, just the thought of going 50KM merely to pick someone up makes me dizzy. on the other hand, it did feel GREAT to be "received" after a 30hr ordeal. guess, that's why artnavy is so right--- i am just too damn lucky to have her!
PS: just coz u sent me an sms doesn't mean the surprise or the utter SHOCK was any less...!!!
JLT - hhrrmmppff!! you dont have to rub it in! people forget, you know!! ;) yes he was indeed kicked!
V aka M - :) am so glad we made it! the thing about surprises is that its surprise only the first time!! but they are indeed memories for lifetime! your expression afta seeing Cubby was something! i wish i had got my camera too! love ya! you could have least said you wanted to see me also!! Cubby!! hrrmmppff! :D
cheers!
Awww..you both are so cute!!
That was awfully nice of you to go to the airport to pick M up especially when the traffic in Bangalore is so treacherous!!!
I have never been surprised nor have I ever attempted to surprise anyone.
I was a part of a surprise birthday treat for my SIL which my BIL had very carefully planned.But to my horror,she called me in the morning, wanting to spend all day with me and I had to make all kinds of excuses for not wanting to spend the evening with her as well! Towards the end,I ran out of excuses and came up with the silliest of reasons and the poor girl did not suspect a thing!
Ultimately it was worth it when we saw the zapped look on her face as she saw us in the living room with flowers and chocolates :)
What a cute couple we have here :) I wish to meet you and M and Cubby :)
Sure I would write my suprise story soon...busy week at work :(
Hahahhaa.. so sweet and Abha your M is so sweet too :) Loved reading about your surprises :) well he was surprised alright :)
lucy - well i didnt have to drive (i cant anywayz!), so it wasnt really a big deal!! just a loooong drive!! hehe! so you SIL had the perfect movie like surprise! being avoided and then getting surprised! hehe!
swati - bass hukum karo kahan aur kab milna hai!! :) hope work week eases up!
gypsy - yeah he is sweet alright!! :)am glad you enjoyed reading about my pseudo surprises!!
cheers!
Awwww!! Look at u guys!!
Err..as for surprises, I have never given ANY to the husband.
And have received ONE which we already know about and that was also not very well received.
BTW, I WOULD agree with you and say it's the thought that counts if I knew you would'nt throw it back at me.:D
visiting after a long timw..I really liked your surprise party effort. the look is good. hugs to M and M.
belated happy anniversary to kaka and Kaku..
You know what, Once when aryan's father say kaka for uncle in marathi (Aryan's Papas mother tongue), aryan understood that as Kaka means crow in tamil(my mother tongue).
I just remembered that now
BM - thankee!! well i caught ya there when you started complaining, didt i??!! but no, i wont throw it back at you! again! :p
aryan's mommy - thanx!! try and try till i succeed types!! hehe! oh the language confusions! M also keeps giving Cubby lessons on how Marathi is a weird language!! hehe! so what does Aryan speak?
cheers!
abha
lol!
I could SO relate to the episodes. I am equally bad at planning surprises and have decided that I am not made of such material hehe
Like M says, it was very sweet of you and hats off, girl! :)
LOL! M, she had you there, man!:-D
But then, I guess you couldn't admit on an open forum that you were elated on seeing wifey as well ;-) right???
WIAN - we are soul sistahs arent we!! :D
JLT - again jale pe namak!!! :p
LOL, Mama Mia, you two are sooo cute!
Awww...that's so cute - so he didn't want to give his young bride the scare of her life by jumping out and screaming 'Surprise!' Smart man! :)
suki - *blush* :p
MM - yeah right!! naywayz he was just paying the boys!! i DID act surprised for them tho!!! poor guys had slogged over and even baked me a layered chocolate cake in our oven!! :) those were the days!
cheers!
abha
Post a Comment